What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting the F-782D Angle

CFI1513840

Well Known Member
The F-782D Angle is attached to the F-7101 Gear Attach Web with LP4-3 blind rivets, but there is not enough room between the F-7101 and the outer skin for the rivet shank. The head sticks up about 3/16" and will not seat properly when the rivet is pulled. I was thinking about drilling relief holes through the outer skin, which will be covered by the wing root, to allow the rivets to seat properly before they're pulled.

I just wondered if anyone else had this problem and what you did about it.

Van's Response

Van's responded to this query. Gus advised that if the bracket is secure, just leave it as is. As I have only done one side so far, he advised me to either use washers under the rivet heads or shorter rivets to avoid the problem. As the only size in the kit is LP4-3, I ordered shorter rivets from Hansen's (the -2 which is good up to 1/8" grip) to do the other side. The minimum batch was 100, so if there are any builders out there who want to avoid this problem, let me know and I can send you some of the -2 rivets.

Last edited:
Pulled slowly

If I remember correctly, I simply pulled this slowly and let the "shop head" shorten a bit while pushing on the factory head to get it seated before finishing the rivet and breaking the mandrel. Finished rivet appears normal.

I grinded off a small part of the mandrel at the end of the rivet to make it sit a little further in the hole (maybe helped 1/32 or 1/16"). Like Bill said, once you start pulling the rivet, it will seat closer. I wouldn't worry about it too much. All it does is act to support the cover over the front of the F-704 bulkhead.

Back