What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting help

rwarre

Well Known Member
I need to install 3/16 inch rivets in the main spar that were left out from the builder whom I bought the kid from. These are big and most rivets gun don't have the ump to do the job. Has anyone installed these rivets and what is the best tool to use. Want to get something that I cam also dimple with and set the smaller head rivets. Thanks

C frame and hammer.

I set the AN470 3/16" rivets in the main spar using the small C frame tool in the picture, bolted to a block of wood sitting on a concrete floor. A cup set goes in the bottom hole and the mandrel makes the shop head by hitting it with the 2 lb hammer. It takes 2 or 3 hits to set a rivet and it worked very well for all the AD6 rivets in the spar.
Separate tools (normal rivet gun and C frame) were used to dimple and set the smaller rivets.

Attachments

• 20221221_134321.jpg
    20221221_134321.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 20221221_134335.jpg
    20221221_134335.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 136
A 5X or even 4X will buck those; even easier if the bar is supported by a bench versus someone’s hand(s). Used larger guns can be found pretty reasonably form Yardstore and others. You’ll probably be surprised how easy they buck. Good luck.

If you are talking about just those 4 (2per spar) where the old plans were unclear if bolt vs rivet, I had to do the same. I was able to use my 3x gun (though 4+ would be better). A heavy bucking bar did really help. I used a 5lb hunk of steel with another bucking bar attached as a handle, so probably 7lb total. Got the job done.

4x

-6 (3/16) rivets are the norm in airliners. A 4x will do just fine. I was so used to shooting -5s and -6s that when I started my RV I had a little bit of culture shock... We only used -3 rivets to attach nutplates. I also had to buy a 3x gun.

If your spar is not built into the wing yet...

If your spar is not built into the wing yet...

Tony Bingelis taught how to drive 3/16 dia spar rivets in EAA's Sport Aviation magazine May 1993... the same way PaulvS shows in post #2.

I used an Avery C frame with an oak block inside the base to bear the load to the floor versus maybe bending the web of the aluminum channel that is the base.

A five pound hammer with three to five hits did it for me. I had to learn to hit sufficiently hard to get a barrel shaped shop head. I had a couple rivets with cork shaped shop heads when I was too timid with the hammer, ref Figure 2 "too many light hammer blows" of the Bingelis article. I successfully drilled those rivets out with a drill press.

If this is an RV-7, I believe the spar comes with all the 3/16” rivets set.

Are you sure these holes get rivets and not 3/16” bolts?

Carl

Back