What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting forward top skin on -9A slider

petehowell

Well Known Member
Hello,

It looks like I will have some rivets that are not able to be bucked due to instrument placement. Did anyone use pop rivets here, and if so, what flavor?

Riveting on the tip skin is my task for this weekend. I am considering using the cherry rivets in a lot of places. From what I understand the only concern is the grip length. For #30 that is not much of an isssue in that you can get them in many different lengths. The #40 may be a problem. You need a long grip length for the interface between the lower skin and top skin because of the angle al there. I am not worried about the apparence on the top or side because I think it better to see the head of the cherry rivet than a ding from the gun or broken wires/pipes to replace. Regardless of the pratice my riveting skills suck!!! As far as water leaks I think the paint will fill.

Formal taxi test this weekend if things go right with putting on the foward cover and windscreen. :)

Still planning first flight July.

Larry
N72NJ 160HP, FP

Last edited:
Forward top skin secrets...

You guys may want to look at what I learned from another builder who went before me. Check out the hatch modifications before you think about riveting that skin in place.

http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a095.htm

I was able to buck all the rivets by myself, and get future access inside the forward fuselage.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A slider, N2PZ
172.7 hour on the hobbs.

Back