What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

riveting elevators

Trevor778

Well Known Member
How did everyone else rivet the last couple rivets on the inboard and outboard elevator ribs? I cant seem to get any bar, or squeezer in there. I'm having the same problem with my rudder. Any insight would be much appreciated. I'd rather not use pop rivets.

Can't remember. I either used the 4" thin-nose c-frame yoke on the squeezer with an extra-wide flat set, or I might have cheated and used 3/32 CherryMax rivets from GAHco, which are brilliant, by the way.,

close quarter rivetying

If memory serves.... Using a back rivet technique, I used a 14" machanic's flat blade screw driver; set up the piece to be riveted,
placed the screwdriver blade on the top of the rivet and then applying impact with my pneumatic riveter to the top of the screwdriver.

I used a chisel like Lorne used the screwdriver. I have heard of builders bending the edge of the sheet up enough for clearance, but care must be given not to damage or crease the metal. The no hole yokes might be able to get in. And the pops rivets will always work, just fill in the hole. I won't tell anyone!!:D

Roberta

Modified 60 degree rivet set

This is all I use anymore for narrow clearance back riveting. I ground the tip to get into the tightest spots. Got it online at the big auction site for a steal.

DSC00730.JPG

If you *plan ahead* to pop rivet a skin, be advised that you may need 120 degree countersinks and dimples to make them sit truly flush.

Pop Rivets

Scott at Vans said it's acceptable to use the MK-319-BS pop rivets there, and that's what I did.

I'm with Mike. I had the same experience. I do believe that the plans/instructions say that its OK to put blind rivets in the last couple holes.

I figure if they so its OK I'm OK with it.

I ended up using cherry's. I'll touch em up with a little bondo in a couple of years. Thanks for the replys everyone. Now if my wings would ship I'd be happy.

rivet

MK-319-BS pop rivet, fits flush, saves time and prevents damage, no worries. Anytime I encounter that tight of a spot thats what I do. They can be filled with epoxy or filler before paint. just my 2cents

bird

Back