What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting Elevators

jlfernan

Well Known Member
The plans specifically say to back rivet the stiffners to the elevator skins. Would there be any problem squeezing the four most aft rivets then back riveting the rest? ;)

jlfernan said:
The plans specifically say to back rivet the stiffners to the elevator skins. Would there be any problem squeezing the four most aft rivets then back riveting the rest? ;)

I guess you could, but backriveting gives a REALLY nice finish (nicer than squeezed IMHO). Try backriveting the ones you can't reach with the squeezer first - I suspect you'll be so happy that you go ahead and back rivet the last few.

Super low hassle - drop in the rivets, cover with rivet tape, bang against a plate (preferably recessed into a board) and you are done. Optionally lightly goop up with RTV or proseal if Van's recommends such steps for the nine.

Back riveting looks a lot nicer and is real easy to do. Sometimes you can get a wavy appearance with a squeezer. The strength of the rivet will be about the same what ever way you choose as long as it is done properly. That's my understanding anyway.

Last edited:
Back