What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting Elevator Counterbalance Arm

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Anyone have suggestions on how they got the last rivets on the counterbalance arm on the Elevator near the trailing edge?

photo.JPG

Some have used blind rivets there. I bucked (actually backriveted them) by using a piece of 1/8" thick flat iron bar stock as an offset bucking bar. Placed the bar over the rivet shank with the rivet gun with flush set over that as close to the rivet as I could get.

For what it's worth, if I had to do it again I'd go the blind rivet route as well using MK-319-BS rivets.

no hole yoke

If I remember correctly I used a no hole yoke there with my hand squeezer, something like this:

494.jpg

Lenny

Having done this already with the indirect method, I'd use a blind rivet if I had to do it again. There's 38,000 rivets in there, you'll never now about this one.

Last edited:
Some have used blind rivets there. I bucked (actually backriveted them) by using a piece of 1/8" thick flat iron bar stock as an offset bucking bar. Placed the bar over the rivet shank with the rivet gun with flush set over that as close to the rivet as I could get.

You can see a demonstration of this technique at http://www.eaa.org/video/homebuilders.html. Go to the Sheet Metal tab, then scroll down to Indirect Riveting Technique. I wish I had known about that when I did my elevators.

Back