What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting Control Brackets

Aiki_Aviator

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Just wanted some feedback after the effect and see if the community believes it should be a little different.

I have actually riveted the control brackets to the main support brackets under the engine and was wanting to get some feedback on:

1. Is this a bad idea?
  2. What do people see as the ramifications of this approach?
  3. Has anyone else taken this approach, and if so what was their final conclusion?

Thanks in advance.

Doh!!

Here are the pictures:

FP27092013A0002C.jpg

FP27092013A0002D.jpg

Thanks

My support bracket came in Van's kit and was made from 4130 with white powder coating. When moving my controls there is some flex in some of the thin standoffs. I would have liked it to be more rigid with some extra bracing.

I have not seen the nice anodized aluminum part that you have before, but I bet you are saving on weight. Your 90 degree brackets made from .063"(just a guess) aluminum may fatigue quicker and break at the bend. This might lead to all or partial loss of engine controls. If you want to stick with aluminum, I would try to get some thicker brackets TIG welded that have some triangle pieces for better support on the sides. Edit: Or riveted as mentioned below. You can fine tune the bracket pieces to get the proper angle. Then use at least four 1/8" rivets or two -3 bolts. You will want to consult an engineer or Van's as this is just my opinion.

Looking good and it won't be long now.

Last edited:
That looks like the Airflow Performance brackets that came with my Superior XPIO-360. They bolt to the induction mounting plate (also yellow anodized in that picture) and I see no problem with riveting the actual cable brackets to them. In fact, because they interfered with my exhaust hangars on the -6A, I made custom, all-riveted (except for the mounting bolts) brackets out of angle. I'm rather pleased to see the AFP brackets fit the -10; they are nicely made and finished.

Mine are riveted using the same brackets from AFP.
Nothing wrong with rivets, though 4 rivets would have been better than just 2.
You could double up on at least the mixture side by placing a mirror image bracket opposite and add 2 more rivets for a total of 4.
On the throttle side I would prefer a larger bracket that accommodates at least 4 rivets.

Back