What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

riveting bottom skins

jtrollin

Well Known Member
So I was thinking of what a pain in the butt this is going to be and thought what if I could back rivet the j-stiffeners on before I put the skins on the wings. I clecoed the stiffeners up to the skin and checked to see if I could still get the skins on and it worked without any issues. Just wanted to see if I am missing any "gotchas" with trying this approach. I know there are some rivets I can not put in place due to the over lap of stiffener but other than that it seems like an easier approach.

thanks,

Its been a while since I did the wings, but if remember right the access to buck the rivets requires that the skin flexes more than it would with the stiffeners in place. I know this is true for the outboard skins as I use nervous about creasing them with the amount of bend needed to get to the rivets.

N410EG flying

Eric is right. Skinning starts inboard to outboard, aft to front and with the stiffeners in place you simply wouldn't have the flexibility needed. Once you get going, it's not nearly as bad as it first appears.

Studying the plans it looks like the inboard skins could be done this way without any issues as you are told to cleco stiffener in place before riveting any way. The outboard skin I would have to leave the stiffener loose for the last three bays to be able to stay with the directions.

Eric is right. Skinning starts inboard to outboard, aft to front and with the stiffeners in place you simply wouldn't have the flexibility needed. Once you get going, it's not nearly as bad as it first appears.

It worked GREAT for the inboard skins

I will test fit the outboard skin maybe tomorrow and see if it will work well there too. Saves my arm from contorting to weird shapes for about 80+ rivets :)

Back