What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet squeezer suggestions for “almost rv14 seat kit”.

Oroyo

I purchased this kit for my plane but I don’t have build tools. It came with a
squeeze rivets. How should I install it? Is there an alternative to the squeeze rivets or should I buy a tool? Im okay with buying a tool but I’m not sure which one if so.

I think we are going to need more info on what you are trying to do, maybe some pictures. I can't tell if you are asking about how to do riveting in general as a new builder, or have a specific rivet you are trying to get done. You might talking about the anti splat kit? The video at about 6-7min shows a bracket, if you are taking about that, looks like you'd use a rivet gun and long/thin bucking bar to me. I've not done that modification, so other's might have better suggestions.

No I’m familiar with riveting I’m just unsure if the “almost an rv14” mod kit requires any special riveter like deep throat or swivel head etc. Or if there’s a particular unit to avoid.

No I’m familiar with riveting I’m just unsure if the “almost an rv14” mod kit requires any special riveter like deep throat or swivel head etc. Or if there’s a particular unit to avoid.
The reason for the confusion, is that you mentioned getting "squeeze rivets". A rivet squeezer is designed to work on the exact same rivets that a rivet gun/bucking bar would be used to drive. In some tight spaces, using one or the other might be preferable and/or exclusive. Need more details. You didn't mean "pull rivets", did you?

I have made this modification on two RV-9A's. It is a great product. If I recall, you will need a rivet gun and a bucking bar for at least some of the rivets. You might be able to squeeze some with the right combination of anvils for the squeezer, but if you don't already have the tools, focus on the rivet gun and bucking bar. Ask around your airport or EAA chapter: you should be able to find someone who has the builder tools and willingness to help you. I would not use pulled rivets on a structural component like this.

There is a video on youtube explaining the process done by Anti Splat Aero.com for the Almost a RV14 changes. Good luck.

I ordered this mod when I was building my RV7 and had it clecoed together before ultimately deciding not to install it. As has been said, I don't think you'll be able to get to all these with a squeezer. I think you might even need a 90 degree drill to drill out some of the old ones, but I might be wrong about that.

I'm all about encouraging people to learn new skills, but honestly, if you don't know how to use a rivet gun, real live parts on a flying airplane is probably not the place to learn. Either practice on scrap until proficient or get some help.

Even if you don't have a robust EAA chapter or likely airport bum to conscript, for the price of a rivet gun and bucking bars and whatnot it seems like you should be able to hire somebody to knock this out for you. While they are awkward to get to, It's only like 20 rivets or so.

Last edited:
I ordered this mod when I was building my RV7 and had it clecoed together before ultimately deciding not to install it. As has been said, I don't think you'll be able to get to all these with a squeezer. I think you might even need a 90 degree drill to drill out some of the old ones, but I might be wrong about that.

I'm all about encouraging people to learn new skills, but honestly, if you don't know how to use a rivet gun, real live parts on a flying airplane is probably not the place to learn. Either practice on scrap until proficient or get some help.

Even if you don't have a robust EAA chapter or likely airport bum to conscript, for the price of a rivet gun and bucking bars and whatnot it seems like you should be able to hire somebody to knock this out for you. While they are awkward to get to, It's only like 20 rivets or so.
I’m very comfortable riveting in many different ways. Career metal worker here. I just don’t know what specific needs this particular kit will entail that’s all. I’ll get it sorted out.

I’m very comfortable riveting in many different ways. Career metal worker here. I just don’t know what specific needs this particular kit will entail that’s all. I’ll get it sorted out.
Gotcha. Well then, when I was putting this together (with the factory crossbar) I seem to remember being able to squeeze some of them and having to use a rivet gun and bucking bar for a few that I couldn't get to with a squeezer. A 3X rivet gun and a tungsten bucking bar about the size of a zippo lighter will work for 99% of the rivets on an RV

Back