What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet Size/Drill index Guide

osaleh

Hi everyone,

Is there a Drill Size/Rivet Size index around that you can tell me about? I am still working on my training project (will build 7A) and Vans instructions read the rivet sizes but not the drill size, at least the instructions for the training project do that. So for example, for AN246AD3-3, what drill size do i use for that? etc...

rivets used in van's construction

an426-ad3-x is a #40 drill
an470-ad3-x also a #40

The common element in the rivet call out is the AD3

Similarly , both an470 ad4-x and an426 ad4-x use a #30 drill

Again the common element to the call-out is the "ad4" portion

Remember the Solid rivet call outs start with Type, then diameter, then length

Flush or universal, diameter, then length

The pull rivets are similar but depending on the rivet, the drill size will change. This will get you through for a while though. An oddball drill size... for example the mk319-bs rivets-- 7/64 drill give it a search.

Last edited:
And the reason we use a #30 and #40 drill bit for most of the construction process is the rivets are 1/8" and 3/32".

We could use a 1/8" and 3/32" drill bit but the #30 and #40 are sized just a tiny bit over the fraction bits and it makes for the kit to go together just a little quicker. :)

A drill hole size guide is available everywhere from tool and hardware suppliers and needed from time to time to confirm the correct bit is being used.

Back