What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet sets, cupped and flat squeezer sets needed

JeffZn

I'm New Here
Hi all,

An RV-7 newbie here so please don't hesitate to set me straight. I apolgize now if I did something wrong but I searched the forum on what I will ask and came up empty.

This years trip to Airventure promises to be a memorable one when I place an order for RV-7 tail kit. I'm also going to be ordering the tools. In my preview plans, I notice the plane is put together with mostly 3/32" and 1/8" flat and round head rivets. I struggled to find any uses of 5/32" and 3/16" rivets. I also noticed that Cleaveland Tool only includes a 1/8" rivet set (straight and double offset) in their kit and if you go with their pneumatic sqeezeer upgrade, they include only a 1/8" cupped set.

So my question is what rivet gun sets along with flat and cupped squeezer sets will I need for the entire project? I just want to make sure I don't buy something that I won't need.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff Zink
RV-7

For the gun:

Flush set (a swivel set is nice also)
Straight universal 1/8
Straight universal 5/32
Double offset Universal 1/8
Backrivet Set

Squeezer:

Flush Set
1/8 universal

Various dimple dies, 3/32, 1/8 a couple of each since you make have to grind one down.
#8 screw dimple
#6 screw dimple (not required per Vans, but useful for aftermarkek stuff)

Probably more, I'm still thinking

Other Dimple Dies

3/32 Dies for use in a pop rivet tool
3/32 Dies on a vice grip
Rivet set with a drilled tip to accept a dimple die

Should only need 5/32 if you mess up an 1/8 hole.

And don't forget the microstop countersink cutter with 3/32, 1/8, #6 and #8 bits.

There are a few places where a #10 dimple die is useful.

One piece of advice...get a 120 degree countersink (for #30 or 1/8" holes) for the various flush-mounted pulled rivets (CS4-4, etc.). I might also invest in a 120 degree dimple die, as well, for the times when you can't countersink but can dimple the part.

Kim Goldin makes a fantastic set with a super precision CNC setup, he just sent me a set to try out and I highly recommend them. I used his yokes, squeezer and rivet/dimple dies on my RV-10 and they are very, very nice. I have no interest, just a happy customer.

http://www.rivettools.com/

Kim Goldin makes a fantastic set with a super precision CNC setup, he just sent me a set to try out and I highly recommend them. I used his yokes, squeezer and rivet/dimple dies on my RV-10 and they are very, very nice. I have no interest, just a happy customer.

http://www.rivettools.com/

rick you ever get the chance to talk to kim again you might mention to him his background on his web page is so distracting i can barely read the main text. maybe a solid color or the rivet machine at 95% fade would be less intrusive.

I saw that. I spoke to him last week and he is in the process of upgrading the site. He had been under the weather for a few months and was in the process of catching up with work stuff. I should have mentioned that his site was a bit hard on the eyes..:eek:

Back