What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet placement direction

Robert M

Well Known Member
The plans for the VS call for about 21 rivets to be placed with the flush head forward. Nothing specific is mentioned for the other rivets in the assembly. Can they go in either direction or should I follow the golden rule - DOWN, BACK, or OUT?

21 only

Robert,
It's just the 21 mentioned as that section of the VS bolts against F712.
See drwg 27A.
Pete.

RE: 21 only

Pete, thanks for the reply.

So, those 21 go in from the "forward" facing side of the spar against the fuselage and the rest of the rivets are put in from the aft facing side of the spar?

sorry about the repeat, I'm just trying to make sure I understand. :)

pics did help

I love a visual. Sometimes it can be explained 100 times but then a pic pops up and it's "OHHHHHHHHHHH, I get it now!"

The pics helped a lot. Showed the way the rivets are placed.

Thanks Sid.

Not quite right for rivets

Robert M said:
. . . should I follow the golden rule - DOWN, BACK, or OUT?
Robert, also note that while correct for bolts, this is not the general guidance for rivets. Especially if the material on one side is thin (~032 or less), it is best to put the factory head against the thinner material.

The "golden rule" is to allow the bolt to keep working if the nut falls off, so that is never a problem for rivets.

For rivets, I generally put the factory head (1) on the thinner material as Ben notes... unless both materials are thick, then I put them where (2) they look best, or (3) where they are easiest to buck or squeeze, or (4) if they are likely to be difficult to set, I put the head where it will be easiest to drill out if necessary. Rule #4 trumps all other rationales. This, of course, is generally not applicable for flush rivets which almost always go a certain direction (indicated in plans) for a reason. Good luck.

rivet placement

OK. The back, out, down rule is for bolts - cool.

Rivets go in based on material thickness, then looks, then ease of placement and finally ease of removal. The latter being the catch all.

Thanks guys.

Back