What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet or screw

N787KV

Any thoughts on using nut plates and screws vs pop rivets on the bottom rudder fairing, other than more work?

If you are putting wiring in there for a tail position light and strobe, then having access to take the fairing on and off is essential. Otherwise you will be drilling out about 20 pop rivets if you ever want to take the rudder off the aircraft.

I riveted my -7 rudder bottom fairing, then glassed it in place. I ran the tail position/strobe wire back into the fairing with enough length to pull the connection all the way through the back of the fairing. I've had to change my position/strobe light from Aeroflash to Whelen - didn't have any issues with the wiring or the fairing!

I don't see any advantage to being able to remove the fairing. I glassed all of my empennage fairings, and installed nutplates/screws on my wingtips.

Screws and nutplates here...

but I might have done Scott's excellent suggestion had I seen it first!

If you are putting wiring in there for a tail position light and strobe, then having access to take the fairing on and off is essential. Otherwise you will be drilling out about 20 pop rivets if you ever want to take the rudder off the aircraft.

I don't think it has to be that bad. Why not just remove the tail light and disconnect the wires from, then remove the rudder?

Back