What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet mistake

High_Flyer

Well Known Member
Hi and happy Easter to all.
I've made another mistake, I hope not too bad.
I have misread the plans and countersunk two holes for AN426 rivets where there should be AN470 rivets.
Location on the F-705-B rear spar bar, see pictures below:

IMG_07591-1.png

IMG_07581.png

IMG_07602.png

Right side shown, same mistake on the left side.
Any advice, please...

Alain.

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com

Search "Countersunk Repair Washers". Part # that you probably want;
LS5931-A71

I never even knew these existed. Cool. However, I would probably just put the 426 in there and move on.
I would be curious from the airframe engineers that lurk on these forums to know what the difference in strength would be between a 470 and 426 particular to this application, but also for general information.

additional info about more mistake

Gents,
thanks for the replies.
However I should have mentioned that I made another mistake in the same area a few weeks ago:
Hi everyone,

I'm at working on the fuselage rear spar bulkhead, and here is a question regarding a mistake on the F-605C Rear Spar Doubler.

There is place on F-605C that does not have a hole at the same place as the F-605B.
Of course when drilling F-605C I didn't pay enough attention and started drilling before realising my mistake. I stopped just before the drill bit went all the way through:

IMG_07481.jpg

IMG_07461.jpg

Is that extra hole a problem? This is a place with a lot of stress...

Thanks,

Alain.

The reply from here and from Vans was to fill the hole with a rivet an build on.

Now with the additional mistake about the countersunk hole in the same area I'm wondering if it is bad enough that I have to order new parts.
Same question sent to Vans and waiting for them to reply before continuing.

Alain.

Gents,
thanks for the replies.
However I should have mentioned that I made another mistake in the same area a few weeks ago:

The reply from here and from Vans was to fill the hole with a rivet an build on.

Now with the additional mistake about the countersunk hole in the same area I'm wondering if it is bad enough that I have to order new parts.
Same question sent to Vans and waiting for them to reply before continuing.

Alain.

Is this the same exact hole or one in the same place on the opposite side of the part?

Is this the same exact hole or one in the same place on the opposite side of the part?

The 2 countersunk holes are on the same part on opposite ends, one on the left side, one on the right side.
My second post in this thread mentionned another mistake made on a different part but in the same area where the wing's rear spar gets sandwiched between the F-605B and the F-605C with a bolt going through all the 3 parts. It's not structurally as important as the main spar I suppose, but this being part of the wing I'm not sure what to do...

Still waiting for a reply from Vans support as well.

If it wasn't on the wing I would just build on.

Hi and happy Easter to all.
I've made another mistake, I hope not too bad.
I have misread the plans and countersunk two holes for AN426 rivets where there should be AN470 rivets.
Location on the F-705-B rear spar bar, see pictures below:

IMG_07591-1.png

IMG_07581.png

IMG_07602.png

Right side shown, same mistake on the left side.
Any advice, please...

Alain.

Both AN427AD4-X and AN470AD4-X are made from the same material
(2117-T4) and have the same strengths (26,000 PSI/Shear and 38,000 PSI/Tensile). I don't see any cause for concern. I'd say FIDO.. forget it and drive on!

Back