What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet Length Issues on Firewall

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I am working on my firewall and riveting the upper and lower firewall brackets (the powder coated brackets) and found the recommended rivet of AN426AD4-5 are too short. I wind up with very little depth to the shop head once the correct diameter is made. I wound up drilling out all of these rivets and stepping up to an AD4-6 length and it appears better. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue? If so, I'll shoot a note to Tim's list of gotchas.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=3b3e6f879ab2ed26&sc=photos&id=3B3E6F879AB2ED26!2275

I understand. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem to see if it's consistently a problem and should go on the gotcha list or if it was just my setup.

I understand. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem to see if it's consistently a problem and should go on the gotcha list or if it was just my setup.

To be honest, I don't recall. It's become so natural for me to grab the correct length rivet, I don't keep track of the occasional oops in the plans.

bob

Charlie,

I had the same issue and did exactly as you did. There are many other places in the fuselage kit that needed longer than specified rivets. I always checked Van's rivet lengths first, but used a longer one if the original was a little short.

Can't go wrong with longer rivet. The Standard Aircraft Handbook does have a chart in it with minimum and maximum upset diameter and min/max upset height page 104 in the sixth edition.

I just take their rivet length as a suggestion for a starting point. There are multiple places where their length is wrong on my plane.

Phil

Back