What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet Gun

J.D.

This maybe a dumb question but what is the difference between a rivet gun and an air hammer. They do the same thing and look the same. And whats the difference between 2x and 3x an 4x

J.D.,

Not a dumb question at all. An air hammer hits much harder and faster than an aircraft rivet gun -- way too hard for the small rivets used in lights airplanes.

The 2X-3X-4X designations for rivet guns are rough approximations of the stroke length and available power for that gun. 2X is "light duty" and 3X is "medium duty." Those are the only two you should consider for building an RV.

Cheers,
Buck

Thanks

I appreciate you giving me some insight on this. Would it be safe to say that if I got a 3X i would be ok with all the rivets I will be facing?

3X is overkill for most of your riveting work

The 3X slams those poor AD3 rivets. If you get a 2X you will learn to really like the feel of slightly hitting the rivets with a partial trigger and then a short blurrrp and they are set, using 35 lbs air. I have both and while there were times a 3X could have been used, the 2X sets all AD3, AD4 rivets quite nicely.

Thanks for the info. I will keep all that in mind when I purchase gun thank you all. Just tryin to get a start on my tools before I really take the big punge.

My 3x gun (Atlas Copco) has a pressure regulator built into the trigger (turn it 180 degrees) and also a very good trigger so it is easy to modulate.

I have seen some 3x guns that hit really hard and have poor trigger modulation.

Best to try before you buy if possible. If not, buy one and be prepared to buy the other later. I found my 2x gun didn't really have enough energy for the -4 rivets, then when I messed a few up and had to go to -5 I was really in trouble.

Also air hammers usually have triggers that are basically on on/off while a good rivet gun has a trigger that throttles smoooooothly :)

Call Fred

I have purchased several guns from the well known aviation supply houses but my A&P kept telling me they were air hammers. After building 2 RVs I finally found where to buy a real rivet gun and it didn't cost any more than the air hammers which now just take up space in my tool box. The difference is amazing. I recommend you call Fred at Clear Air Tools in Tulsa, OK. (supplier to the aerospace industry) If you don't agree I'm sure he will be happy to take it back.

I have both a 2x and 3x gun. If I only had to have one I would pick the 3x.
.....I have both and while there were times a 3X could have been used.....
.....I found my 2x gun didn't really have enough energy for the -4 rivets.....
J.D.,

I am familiar with rivet guns ranging from 2X through 6X. A 2X is best used on tiny AD3 rivets and a 6X slams so hard it will effortlessly punch through an .032 skin! For RV construction, I recommend a 3X as the all around best option. That is because a 2X gun is just not strong enough to easily set some of the longer AD4 rivets. That is important because the larger diameter and longer a rivet is, the more a rivet gun's potential slamming energy is dissipated before forming an acceptable rivet shop head. Comparatively speaking, a 3X requires fewer "hits" to set a rivet than a 2X gun. Less hits mean less chance of slipping off a rivet. Oops. Local deformation and accidental dents speak for themselves. Familarity and experience play into the mix too. While I can easily set AD3 rivets with a 3X gun wide open, not everybody can do that. The 3X rivet gun gives you the ability to dial down the air pressure if you really have to. Finally, note excerpts drawn from two of the responders and draw your own conclusions.

Thanks Fred seems to be in my nech of the woods. I just live 15 minutes south of Tulsa. I will look him up

Thanks

Thank you all for your input. I believe i have a better understanding of things now and can purchase with more confidence than I had. I just didn't want to be buying things I wouldn't need or use. Or buy one thing and figure out I needed the other.

Ideally every rivet should be set with *one* hit. Practically, of course, that's not possible. So we have to chose a rivet gun that gives us a combination of minimum number of hits to set the rivet, and controllability so we don't cover our aircraft in smilies.

I know a RV builder who used a 3X gun until the RV's started coming with pre-built spars, now he uses a 2X for everything. I know others who have used only 3X guns. I have a 3X. Personally, I think if you can learn to control a 3X, it'll be better for you in the long run... If you don't need a full 3X hit, then modulate your trigger or your air supply to tone it down. You'll figure it out, just try it on some practise pieces, and use them to practise drilling rivets out too. That's another good skill to have.

Finally, I highly recommend the Sioux 3X gun. The trigger teases quite nicely, and the gun is very well made. It is a little more $$$.

Back