What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet Gun Springs?

tdhanson

Well Known Member
I see that most rivet guns come with the beehive spring which means you unscrew it to change rivet sets. But I also see some vendors offer quick change springs that allow you to slide the retainer off the rivet set to change it out.

Can you use the quick change retainer spring for all rivet sets?
Or is one type of spring better for some applications?

What I do

I riveted professionally for many years, and have tried many types..my all around favorite, is a quick change that you just push aside and remove the set...but it doesnt take much to have an "accidental discharge" that will shoot the set out if your a rookie...the behive will hold the set better against the party foul. there will be times when a spring, no matter what kind will be in the way, and I have a little homemade bungee that has a loop swagged at the ends..one around the rivet set, and one around the air nozzle..I dont have a picture, but others may.

I believe most flush sets have a spring semi-permenently mounted to the set.
So when you change from back riveting set to standard set the quick change is good. However any change to or from the flush set and the quick change spring doesn't help.

When I worked for Gulfstream none of us riveters used springs. You get use to it. You know not to pull the trigger unless you're riveting. In fact the guns they gave us didn't even have springs.

That's because when you shoot a Jurassic jet with a ten inch rivet set it doesn't even feel it.

Back