What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet and Priming question

dsm8

Well Known Member
Patron
While riveting the vertical stablizer skin to the skeleton I missed two or three rivets because of the the cradle, once I realized it it was too late because I could not get the bucking bar in. Are there any flush blind or pop rivets that can be used in their place.

I am priming with Shewin Williams P60G2 with R7k44 as a catalyst reducer and am not happy with the resuls, it goes on poorly and to get adeqaute coverage a thick layer needs to be put on. At first Ithought it was the spray gun settings but nothing seems to fix it. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Even if I have to get spray cans

Thanks

Don MacMillan

Mel said:
Use MK319BS rivets. They are slightly over-sized.
Yep... defenitely most convinient way to fix this. Use 7/64" drill as #40 hole is too small and #30 would be too big. The head of the rivet is same size as the dimple you already have there so only the shank is larger.

For priming I've used Sherwin Williams and Marhyde self-etching rattle can primers with very good results, they cover well and have a pleasent grey color. Also no mixing and cleanup consists of turning the can upside down to clear the nozzle.

jlfernan said:
For priming I've used Sherwin Williams and Marhyde self-etching rattle can primers with very good results, they cover well and have a pleasent grey color. Also no mixing and cleanup consists of turning the can upside down to clear the nozzle.

Ditto, but I'm using a rattle can self-etch from Aircraft Spruce. Can't remember the name and I'm not at home.

My wife says she never see's my Girlfriend since I got my Aluminum Mistress!

Sherwin Williams primer

Don,
I have used P60G2. It?s supposed to be transparent making it great for light weight. I found the large dot pattern of an HVLP gun tends to put too much material on (runs). Especially if you set the pressure low enough to keep the big overspray clouds from forming around you. I often use a cheap, small, touch-up siphon gun (not HVLP) I purchased from Home Depot. I think it is Campbell Hausfield (sp?) It produces a very fine mist (small paint dots) but there is some overspray. Probably environmentally breaking the rules but it sure works great. Don?t give up on the P60 yet. Try a cheap touch-up gun.

Brian Vickers, RV4 project

Try using a bit more of the acid/catalyst/reducer. That allows for a finer mist and smoother finish using HVLP.

V

Ditto on the more catalyst. I mixed it 1.5 to 1. and it worked great. I have since switched to Dupont Variprome 615S and like it much better though.

tip size.

different paints require different fluid tip sizes.cheap guns tell you the tip size and sometimes you can find the right one.most times not. if you will jack up the pressure on the hvlp it will do better but reduce the effectiveness as an hvlp, the gun mentioned earlier will amaze you in it application quality. cheap simple and work very well . but the overspray it somewhat wasteful.

Back