What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rightly Baffled

Lycosaurus

Well Known Member
My current definition of baffles: jigsaw puzzle without the photos... and all the pieces can mate with each other.:)

I have a question regarding the supports on the right baffle floor. The inboard support is just an angled piece bolted to the engine. It basically provides vertical support to the floor. Since this part can rotate around the engine bolt, it does not provide adequate support to hold the baffle tight around the bottom of the #1 cylinder. (I have no problem with the top of the cylinder, since the front/back support is being provided by the side baffle)

Is there anything else in this area to provide solid front/back support for that floor, or are we counting on the the gussets and angles that hold this part to the ring gear baffles? Lots of photos on the net, but did not come across the right one yet. A description would be nice, however if you could steer me to a photo regarding this issue, that would be great. Thanks.

Alfio

Last edited:
The front center baffles will be riveted to the floor and bolted to the engine case. That plus the outer side baffle is all that's holding it in the front/aft position. I have a prop oil line, so that is holding it in place as well.

I started a topic about a month ago with lots of links to various builder's pictures. That might help you on the baffles as well.

Dave

Thanks to all for the replys and links to the pics, and Jeff, you have some really nice and highly detailed pics on your site.

Cheers.

Alfio
bashing baffles

Great pics!

I'm not quite to this point but it's only a few months away. Your photos are awesome, Jeff! It inspires me to not go at this half-@$$ed even though I never planned (and still don't) on building a showplane. Thanx.

Your baffles do look great Jeff. Just when I decided I wasn't going to paint mine, I see your nice, white baffles. What did you paint them with?

They are just primed light gray right now and ya know, I heated another piece I had sprayed primer on with a torch this weekend and got it smoking and it did nothing to the primer so I debating painting them. On another note, my buddy Jim bought a complete engine along with complete baffling from a hurricane damaged RV-6 that was about 10 years old and its been sitting in his garage for the last year and every time we looked at it we both could swear this guy made the baffling out of stainless steel. Well he finally removed it this last week and to both our surprises it was bare aluminum baffling. So I'm not sure if putting anything on it is necessary.

-Jeff

Back