What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Right Wing Assembly Question

dwollen89

Well Known Member
I think I figured this out, but I want to double check before I screw something up.
There is no schematic for the right wing and I've already mixed some things up.

I'm in the process of attaching the wing ribs on the right wing. I'm assuming you just reverse the R and L on the wing rib part#, but keep the orientation of the flanges the same (inboard vs outboard) as the left wing. Does that sound right?

Ribs

I think I figured this out, but I want to double check before I screw something up.
There is no schematic for the right wing and I've already mixed some things up.

I'm in the process of attaching the wing ribs on the right wing. I'm assuming you just reverse the R and L on the wing rib part#, but keep the orientation of the flanges the same (inboard vs outboard) as the left wing. Does that sound right?

Sounds right. If memory serves, and it doesn't, the "R" and "L" on wing ribs refers to the orientation of the rib flange and not to which wing. I could be wrong. Slept quite a few times since then

Sounds right. If memory serves, and it doesn't, the "R" and "L" on wing ribs refers to the orientation of the rib flange and not to which wing. I could be wrong. Slept quite a few times since then

At least on the -9, that is correct (I assume they'd use the same method on all models). I checked, rechecked and checked again when laying those out!

Drawing 10A

If you look at drawing 10A you can see the flange orientation matches the suffix, -L or -R. The drawing shows the three most inboard ribs with the flange facing inboard, or to the right, and they are -R ribs. The fourth rib is a -L and the flange faces outboard. The right wing is just the opposite.

One method that might help is to lay all the ribs out on the bench in wing order. Separate the left wing ribs and label them. The rest are for the right. The left and right references are as if you are seated in the pilot’s seat.

I have to lay things out in advance or I’ll grab the wrong part.

Same for Countersinks?

If this is thread creep, let me know, I'll move it.

The leading edge of our flaps has a doubler on the outboard nose rib. It gets countersunk for a platenut. Am I correct in assuming the right wing is countersunk on the opposite side of the left wing? I think this is the same question with the same answer....

Merry Christmas!
Mike

From the Construction Manual (for my 7)

Ribs may be either "left" (suffix L, i.e.: W-709-L) or "right" (suffix R, i.e.: W-709-R). You may identify the "hand" of a rib by holding it with the leading edge away from you with the flange closest to the tooling holes toward the floor. If the flange is on your left, the rib is an "-L", if it is on the right, it is an "-R".

And yes, both wings use a mix of L and R ribs.

Back