What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Right Information

JEG

I planned on building a 12 as SLSA, now I find that the 16 hr. EAA course will not permit me maintaining and inspecting the aircraft, If built as a ELSA I could.
If built as SLSA can it be changed to ELSA and what is the procedure. Are the fly off times the same for each class? Thanks, John

The way I understand it you can't build it as a S-LSA. Yours will be an E-LSA based on Vans S-LSA

Go here: Vans link RV-12

Here's a snip from the above link:

HOW CAN AN RV-12 BE LICENSED?

Van?s Aircraft plans on submitting the RV-12 prototype for Special Light Sport Aircraft (S-LSA) approval. When this is received, RV-12 builders may build and license conforming airplanes in the E-LSA category.

Although the E-LSA category does not permit builders to vary from the kit or plans (no unapproved engines, propellers, etc. are allowed) it does have some very attractive features. In the E-LSA category, there is no ?51%? rule, and no restriction on who may assist in building the airplane. This allows any amount of help, professional assistance or even a fully professional-built airplane.

In February 2008, the FAA stopped reviewing new kits for compliance with Experimental-Amateur Built category. Van?s Aircraft, Inc. is unable to predict the ultimate effect of the moratorium on the E-AB eligibility of RV-12 kits, but from the information currently available, E-AB certification will still be allowed on an individual basis. Responsibility for demonstrating compliance with the ?51%? rule will rest entirely with the builder.

Last edited:
For the RV-12 to be E-LSA, Vans had to get their RV-12 S-LSA approved. If Vans were to build the whole airplane, it would fall under S-LSA. Anyone else building an RV-12 it would fall under E-LSA if it 100% conforms to the S-LSA RV-12. If you vary from it, then it would have to fall under E-AB, which then you would have to apply the "51% Rule".

The 16 hour class will allow you to perform the condition inspection on "your" E-LSA.

At least this is my understanding.

ELSA

Yes, the 16-hours approved course will give you a certificate that you take along with other documents to the FSDO for them to issue you authority to do the annual condition inspection. ANYONE can do the maintenance on your ELSA, there is NO requirement for anything else.

Yes, the 16-hours approved course will give you a certificate that you take along with other documents to the FSDO for them to issue you authority to do the annual condition inspection. ANYONE can do the maintenance on your ELSA, there is NO requirement for anything else.

To expand the explanation to a further level of correctness...ANYONE can do maintenance, repairs, even major repairs or rebuild after major accident damage of any Experimental Amateur Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport Aircraft (E-LSA).
The 16 hr course is only required to be eligible to sign off the annual condition inspection for an E-LSA. A Repairmans Certificate is required for a person to sign off the annual condition inspection of an E-AB.

Scott

E-LSA or E-AB, not S-LSA

As hydroguy2 says, you can NOT register your RV-12 as a S-LSA. Only Van's Aircraft can do that. They could build and sell you a ready-to-fly S-LSA RV-12 if they wanted to. But they do not. You have two choices: register as an E-LSA or as an E-AB. You will not have a problem registering as an E-LSA as long as you build it exactly according to the plans. Registering as an Experimental-Amateur Built may or may not be possible, pending a ruling by the FAA.
Joe

Back