What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Right Flap Problems

macrafic

Well Known Member
I just finished my right flap (7-A) and have a known problem and a potential one.

On the top side of the flap, laying a straight-edge from leading to trailing edges shows a completely flat flap, both on the inboard and outboard ends. However, on the bottom side, my flap is
concave, with the mid-point between the leading and trailing edges showing about 1/32" gap between the surface of the flap and the straight-edge.
Is this normal? If not, is it critical? If it is critical, do you have any ideas on how I might fix it?

Also, I believe I have stripped the platenut into whicht he rod end bearing threads. To avoid having to completely build another flap, I was thinking I might drill out the rivets to remove the inboard rib, replace the platenut, then use Cherry Max structural pop rivets to re-rivet the inboard rib to the skins. Does this sound structurally sound? Does anybody see any problems with this approach?

flap

You can check with Vans, but I'll bet they will tell you that being within 1/32" of flat is not a problem, and definitely not critical.

Regarding the platenut - rather than drilling out the rib - the design used to have an opening to allow installation of a nut. I think it may still be shown on the plans (I'm not near mine at the moment). Vans omitted the opening when they went with the platenut, but you could put a hole there big enough to hold a new platenut in place and use pop rivets to secure it.

Back