What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Right angle bnc crimping

RobertD

Well Known Member
I need to crimp a right angle BNC connector onto rg400 coax and want to be sure I get the pin oriented correctly. Can?t find anything on the web that shows what I?m looking for.
The small pin that goes on the center conductor is open at both ends. One end has a small bulb shape near the end and the other end has slits in it. The slits would seem to be such that they would allow the pin to expand around the male counterpart in the connector body. So I think the end with the bulb is the end that gets crimped? Does this sound correct?

Thx

The link in the previous post was for the solder type center conductor that doesn't use the internal pin you discussed for the crimp type. It has you tin the center conductor and then insert it to solder to a brass pin and then crimp the shield ring followed by screwing on the end cap.

However, that post does bring up a good point. If you take the part number of your connector and look up the installation drawing (just like the previous post) it will show all the components with strip dimension call-outs. I keep a 3 ring binder with for connectors I run into that are not the standard vanilla straight connectors. Mostly to make sure my strip lengths are approximately right prior to assembly. I usually make those strip cuts by hand since my integrated coax tool is set up for the most common straight crimp connectors.

So yes. The bulb end is the end that is swaged onto the stripped center conductor of the coax. Then the slit end will engage internally in the connector with a snap when you insert it. Then you crimp the outer shield ring to complete the connector.

The devil is in the details. So look up your connector on Digikey, Mouser or manufacturer web site and check it out. Especially with a crimp type 90 degree which is very expensive ($12?). I use the solder versions as shown by the previous poster when I can, as they are much cheaper and effective ($4 each?).

The most expensive kind of 90 degree connector is the water-tight version that has a bushing/nylon sleeve that is pressed up the cable prior to crimping. Those are great for extreme conditions use but cost in the vicinity of $60 each.

Jim

So yes. The bulb end is the end that is swaged onto the stripped center conductor of the coax. Then the slit end will engage internally in the connector with a snap when you insert it. Then you crimp the outer shield ring to complete the connector.

thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I'm planning on using the same ratchet crimper I use for the straight bnc connectors. For those center pins I use the .068 crimper so am planning to use that size for this pin. The data sheet is definitely useful for the strip lengths but it doesn't have anything to say about the pin orientation.

Back