What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rigging the flaps

bob888

Well Known Member
Is there any practical reason to consider the reflex (-3 deg) position as such rather than simply 0 degrees and go from there. It seems that programming the VP-X would be simpler if assuming flap deflection is 0 - 33 deg rather than -3 to +30 degrees. Am I missing something here?

It shouldn't matter one way or the other. I have the VP-200 and the Ray Allen sensor I used just provides a number from 0 to something like 255--the VP nor the sensor actually knows what deg the flap is at for a given reading. You tell it what number correlates to a given stop. In my own system, 0 (full up, reflex)correlates to -3 deg on the flap, and I have 3 stops after that: zero deg, half, and full.

Exactly what I did on my Skyview/Ray Allen sensor/FPS+ system.

4 Positions UP - 0, trail - 3, T/O - 18, Full - 33.

The whole thing with "Reflex" seems to unnecessarily complicate the everything. I understand that the "trail" position is not the same as fully up but nobody flies around at that setting in the cruise. The only thing I have done is to set my GA position to "3" rather than "Up" (or 0 rather than -3, if you prefer......;))

For those of us who fly flapped gliders, having negative flap positions is normal. Since the designer of the RV-10 and -14 airfoil, Steve Smith and Van are both long time glider pilots, they use the negative nomenclature.

Back