What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rigging Aileron/Wingtip

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
I have my Ailerons and flaps temporarily in place while I fit the wing tip and aft rib. I have set the torque tube to neutral per the drawing however that does not rig the aileron. Before I permanently locate the aft rib in the wing tip I want to make sure that the aileron trailing edge aligns with the wing tip when the aileron is neutral. I have not found anything in the plans to rig with. On the two RV8's I have built there was a contour template made from a full size drawing.

What am I missing??

Pat Stewart

$0.02

If you've built two RV-8s you're more of an expert than I am, but I did this step on my -10 a few months ago. There is no template for the contour of the wingtip. As I recall, you use the W-730(?) jig inside the wing to set the ailerons to neutral. I just attached my wings for the first time yesterday and you use the same jig to set the neutral point for both ailerons, so I think that is the best bet for setting the neutral point.

Pat

I have just done all this but am on holiday so don't have access to the plans. However....

I think it is in the section on aileron activation. You put the flaps fully up against the rear spar. Clamp the ailerons to the flaps. This puts them all in the reflex position. You then fit the linkages using the jig etc.

I then duck taped the tip rib in about the right place in the tip and dry fitted it. You can then see how the tip lines up with the aileron. With a bit of judicious "easing", you can get everything lined up and taped in position before match drilling.

I have heard some horror stories about the poor fit but I belleve that was an issue with early kits. Mine were fine with one just being a little short which will require some minor correction.

It's a bit of a jiggle but, as I understand it, well worth being accurate.

Hope this helps.

Paul has it right. Follow the directions in the plans. Flaps up against the stop, ailerons clamped to the flaps, and then fit the wingtips to match the ailerons. I found that I needed an extra set of hands to insure that the tips were held firmly into position while match drilling.

That is exactly where we are now. I have also asked Gus at Vans and the procedure that Pat has described above is correct.

That is exactly where we are now. I have also asked Gus at Vans and the procedure that Pat has described above is correct.

That is also the way I understand it: Ailerons go 0 degrees and Tips Align to Ailerons at 0 Degrees. If later you set your flaps to go to Relfex -3 Degrees the flaps sit higher than both ailerons and higher than the wingtips. Check with Vans, but I don't think you want your ailerons and wingtips dragging -3 degrees all the time, just your flaps during high cruise only.

Rudi

That is also the way I understand it: Ailerons go 0 degrees and Tips Align to Ailerons at 0 Degrees. If later you set your flaps to go to Relfex -3 Degrees the flaps sit higher than both ailerons and higher than the wingtips. Check with Vans, but I don't think you want your ailerons and wingtips dragging -3 degrees all the time, just your flaps during high cruise only.

Rudi

When the flaps are up against the stop, (fully retracted) they are in the reflex position. This reflex position has lots of people confused. It is not something you "set". Don't try to overthink it. Just follow the directions and everything will be where it is supposed to be. Flaps all the way up against the stop (rear spar), ailerons aligned with and clamped to the flaps, and wingtips aligned with the ailerons. That's it.

$.02 worth

Last edited:
Rudi you are wrong. The flaps at -3, ailerons aligned with flaps, wingtips aligned with ailerons. So when you fly the flaps will be in reflex (-3) and the ailerons will be lined up.

Done my wingtips early this morning. No problem with the line up but the LH tip is about 6/16 too long at the back while the RH one slightly too short. So - some more glass work to be done :eek:

When the flaps are up against the stop, (fully retracted) they are in the reflex position. This reflex position has lots of people confused. It is not something you "set". Don't try to overthink it. Just follow the directions and everything will be where it is supposed to be. Flaps all the way up against the stop (rear spar), ailerons aligned with and clamped to the flaps, and wingtips aligned with the ailerons. That's it.

$.02 worth

Thanks, I am not there yet, but read the instructions again, and agree the instructions has you rig everything -3 degrees. When I get there I will check with vans if that is what they really want you to do...I have some experience with other airplanes with reflex flaps. There it is something you SET to go Negative during cruise....Maybe the RV10 it doesn't matter if you aileron neutral is actually -3 degrees. Like I said if you unsure check with Vans...Regards Rudi

FWIW....

...my airplane showed 210- 214 MPH TAS for 46 minutes during last week's race, AFTER I raised the ailerons to match the flap -3 deg!! Maybe I shouldn't give too many speed secrets away:)

Best,

Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. If I understand it correctly the flaps are at -3 degrees from the stop (hitting the aft spar) meaning 0 degrees at the spar so you lower the flap 3 degrees and line up the aileron and the wing tip trailing edge?, or are you saying once you contact the spar with the flaps you raise the aileron 3 additional degrees and line up the wing tip?

Thanks

Pat

Raise the flap all the way up against the spar and then align the ailerons with the flaps and clamp them to the flaps so they cannot move. Then align the wingtips with the ailerons.
So, when you have your flaps fully retracted (up against the stop/spar), the flaps, ailerons and wingtips will all be aligned.

Sorry Pat, you still haven't quite got it. In the cruise, the whole trailing edge should be aligned in the reflex position.

Flaps hard up against the rear spar, clamp the ailerons to the flap, fit and align the tip to the aileron - simples........

Stop worrying about the 3 degrees :rolleyes:

Back