What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rib holes don't align...

AF_Alan

Well Known Member
I'm working on the HS skeleton and can see that the front (skin) holes on the HS-904 ribs don't line up with the holes top/bottom on the HS-902 spar. The front flanges are 90? to the webs, no burs, etc, but the holes are about 1/2 diameter off.

I'd hate to rebend the front flanges but elongated holes aren't great either. And I assume this could have problems with the skin (it's not in the jig, yet). I didn't see anything like this on the VS.

The problem is on all 10 ribs. Did I miss something?

Alan

Make sure you give those ribs a good workout on the Scotchbrite wheel, rounding and smoothing the front edges, so when they're pushed into the skin they don't cause any distortion of the outer skin. This should help make up that half-hole.

It's not the nose ribs

Problem is the forward flange on the main ribs, not the nose ribs. Where would I flute them?

Thanks for any help!

Alan

Some fuss required...

I'm working on the HS skeleton and can see that the front (skin) holes on the HS-904 ribs don't line up with the holes top/bottom on the HS-902 spar. The front flanges are 90? to the webs, no burs, etc, but the holes are about 1/2 diameter off.

I'd hate to rebend the front flanges but elongated holes aren't great either. And I assume this could have problems with the skin (it's not in the jig, yet). I didn't see anything like this on the VS.

The problem is on all 10 ribs. Did I miss something?

Alan

Alan,

I seem to remember having to fuss with mine as well. You're talking about the single hole flange on the main ribs that sits under the 902 spar flange right? So the skin holes align with the spar holes, but the rib holes don't align with the hole in the spar flange.

You can bend the flange forward a little to help align things for match drilling. For the ones that wouldn't bend enough to stay aligned I drilled them to final size while not in assembly. When it came time to rivet, there is plenty of access, so a simple push to flex it into alignment was all that was needed to get the rivet in to shoot it.

Hope this helps.

That worked!

Thanks. I drilled the hole in the rib tab out of assembly as suggested and worked it into place. All other holes aligned good.

Alan

Back