What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rheostat size to use

Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
I have not been on the board much since my last corporate flight but instead was hoping to fasten down the canopy but it is way to cold so I have been working on the wiring....lots of wiring..

My question is what size rheostat should I be looking for for dimmer control

I am going to hook up the optional dimmer line on both skyview's and the MGL com as well as the precision vertical compass.

I am aware that the Dynon has preset options as well but since I have to dim the other items I figured that I would use the optional dimmer on the Dynon and be able to dim everything

I bought a 500k pot today thar is rated for 2 amps more than enough to handle the circuit but I can not find any reference to a rheostat size..

What have you done?

Thanks in advance for the help
Smilin Jack

Somethings not quite right. A 500k pot that can handle 2 amps would be radiating 2 megawatts of power!

The Dynon just needs a control voltage, the com probably the same. Very low current. Compass light is another story. You need to find out the current or power rating of the compass' bulb, to figure out what value rheostat to get.

A cleaner approach is to use the 500k pot to control an LM317 voltage regulator, as long as the bulb doesn't draw too much power.

Back