What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RF Splattering my Panel

carlrai

Well Known Member
Patron
All,

I powered up my SL30 and SL40 for the first time last weekend. All fine with the SL30. To my chagrin, I had RF getting into LED's, my DigiTrak/Altrak, etc when I keyed the SL 40.

A RAMI bent whip is installed on each radio and aside from location, the preparation and installation is per the instructions and identical.

Plan is to start on an leak hunt in the next day or so but I was hoping for a few ideas from those that may have experienced and resolved similar issues. Check this - Check that.

Thanks

Carl Raichle
RV-9A Flying Friday - (no not this one, some Friday)

Hi Carl.

Swap the coax on the back of the radios. That way you will know if it the cable/antenna or the radio.
If the problem follows the antenna then make sure the the antenna base is grounded well. This may mean scraping some paint from under it.

Good luck.

Kent

Although you might have a RF leak, be sure your not transmitting inside a hangar, all kinds of weird things happen when people do that.

you need a dummy

Find a 15 Watt dummy load and connect it in place of the antenna. Make sure it is 50 ohm and rated for VHF frequencies (most are good for 500 MHz or below). A ham radio store or club could help you. That way you can transmit all you want and the RF won't bounce around... unless it is leaking of your your cable connections :eek:

Good Luck!

Back