What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reversible air drill

zzapp

Will purchase first air drill. Have lots of other types. For a 1/4" mini drill how important is the reverse feature?

Not at all!

Of course that's just my opinion. With slower electric drills, the reverse feature is pretty handy. In over 25 years of building, I have never found it useful with the hi-speed air-drills. It just adds size and weight to the drill.

Thanks. I figured with the massive 20 inch pounds developed by a 1/4" drill if I stalled it I could just reach down and twist it out.

If I need reverse I just turn the chuck backward by hand. And as someone else said, don't get a keyless chuck. The key type holds the bit tighter and if you do need to back the thing up, with a keyless chuck you just loosen the chuck when you try to turn it backwards.

A Rohm keyless chuck is the bomb

I think I am going to have to jump in here with a competing opinion. At the suggestion of Bob Avery, I purchased a Rohm keyless chuck for my Sioux drill and it has functioned perfectly. It is easy to operate and has never backed off. Also, you do not need a reverse feature. If you ever need to back out a stuck bit (which rarely happens), you can manually spin the chuck and there is no problem with the chuck backing off and the bit falling out. After changing bits about a jillion times, the Rohm chuck has been a real time saver. See Avery tools.

How important is the reverse feature?

After 15,000 rivets, I would say it is not important at all.

Back