What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reverse half cubans

Guy Prevost

Well Known Member
I mounted my Drift HD170 up so that I could better evaluate my aerobatics. I learned quite a bit. I'm making the common mistake of not pulling hard enough on the downline for one. I don't have inverted systems, so I'm intentionally not pushing after the 1/2 roll on the reverse Cubans, but a little pause will make them much nicer.

Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/B1KYJWznFd0

Guy, nice video. I've got that same camera and like it a lot. You're doing the half roll during the reverse half cuban pretty well, as in not much attitude deviation before and after the roll. Unless you're trying to draw a perfect competition figure, I would focus on a perfect attitude before and after the roll, and maintaining perfect heading during the roll rather than drawing an inverted line after the roll. Drawing a line is the easy part - it's the roll itself that is the challenge. So if you're doing that well, the figure will look good whether you draw a line or not. You'll just lose a couple points if you did it in a contest. :) Most folks doing this figure in non-inverted system aircraft actually vary their pitch a lot more than you're doing, as in letting the nose drop during the half roll.

The biggest thing I saw, which you've already picked up on, is your pitch rate through the loop. Again, unless you want to fly a perfectly round loop, anything else is just varying degrees of an egg-shaped loop, which is just fine for recreational acro. But if you did want to draw a round loop, you'll need to pull quite a bit harder up as as well as down. Looks like you're deliberately flying it with very little G load. Looks like it might be in the 2.5G territory up and down. This is fine for fun, but if you want to round it out, you'll probably need to pull at least 4G up, float the top a lot longer than you're doing, and pull at least 4G down.

Almost everyone first moving from recreational acro to competition that I've critiqued from the ground will fly a loop with a flat spot on the second quarter. You need a pretty good pull to get the first quarter started round, and then you need to increase your pull (more stick movement, not G force) as you pass through vertical to keep the second quarter round. Then you need to float it a good bit from about 30 degrees before inverted level, to about 30 degrees nose down in the third quarter of the loop. Then just a steadily increasing G pull through the rest of the loop down will round it out. Think about pitch rate in a round loop as speed is changing. At the top you're very slow...maybe half the speed of your entry/exit speed. So in this example, your pitch rate at the top should be half of what you'd see at the bottom if the loop is to have any chance at being round. If your pitch rate is the same throughout the loop, or even faster at the top, you know it's pinched, or egg-shaped. An even pitch rate could physically only produce a round loop if your speed never changed through the loop. This would take a wee bit more power than what you've got. :)

Also, if you have a fixed pitch prop, enter the loop at cruise power setting, add full power on the way up, and return to your cruise power setting on the way down. I see lots of folks pull power to idle at the top for fear of overspeeding and stressing the plane on the way down. This is physically impossible to do, even with power maintained, as long as you exit the loop fairly close to your starting altitude.

One more thing about video critiquing aerobatics is that your camera angle only captures pitch. I use this same camera, but mount it to my head using the strap provided. This allows the camera to capture my head movements during figures, which of course is to monitor different axes as needed. This allows me to critique accuracy of both heading and pitch, instead of just one or the other.

I know this video is not RV-related, but it's just an example of me using your same camera mounted in a way that captures both axes as I turn my head. It's been helpful for me to pick up on certain things after a practice session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eibTyZAb0c&feature=channel

Last edited:
Hi Eric,

I am practicing Half Reverse Cubans for the Sportsman sequence this year. I was in Primary last year. I will be going out with my instructor later in Spring but I wanted to go out and try on my own first.

I read your post closely but got a little lost. My first few attempts I wasn't pulling enough G when inverted and would exit the manoeuvre very fast and with a loss of about 500 feet. Then I began to pull more aggressively to try and round out the loop and exit on the same altitude as entry.

I don't have an inverted oil system, I have fuel injection, IO-360 with C/S prop.

Here's what ran through my head yesterday.

- Sharp 3.5 G pull up to 45 to establish a line and give a quick two count as soon as the line is established.

- Roll to inverted. It takes a bit of practice to get use to the horizon from this perspective. I roll pretty quick, like full stick and then check the stop.

- Ease off the pressure and float the top like at the top of the loops. So say from the 10 o'clock position to the 2 o'clock position. The G meter shows zero G. I tried pushing at this point but dumped a ton of oil out the breather. Now with easing the pressure on the stick and zero G there is very little spitting out.

- At the 2 o'clock position I start to pull. More than the loop, more than the half Cuban. Because of your post I start pulling like 4 G. I hold and level out and low and behold I'm pretty close to my entry altitude:)

I know ground critiquing is needed and I will get that. Also I will post a video here soon with a couple of angles. I have a Drift too. You were of great help to me last year in my first year of competition.

Any inputs on my technique are welcomed. My concerns are that, like you said, I'm not establishing a nice line after the roll and I'm diving already, also I'm going to blow way out of the box.

Thanks,

Darren

Hey Darren,

You didn't mention if you're drawing a line after the half roll, and what the duration is. You indicated a 2-count before the roll. To make your line lengths look equal before and after the roll, you'll need about a 3-count after the roll on your 45 inverted upline. If you're pitching into the loop immediately after the half roll (to keep from dumping oil), you could be called for no line after. This would be a 4 point deduction if the judges apply the criteria correctly. Unless you're attempting to draw an equal length inverted line, you're actually better off drawing NO line before AND after. This would only be a 2-point deduction, per the rules. It's one point per visible line length variation, 2 points for a 1:2 variation, 3 points for greater than 1:2, and 4 points for no line before OR after. But only 2 points for no line before AND after...I guess because at least you did it symmetrically.

Line lengths are fairly easy to fly correctly (by counting). The main thing to work on is a perfect 45 attitude before and after the roll, and staying on heading during the roll. You will need to learn what your proper inverted 45 degree attitude looks like by looking at your wingtip. I'd imagine you don't have a traditional sighting device. Do you have any tape on your canopy? You dont' need it...you can learn the sight picture without it. As you're practicing the half roll, glance at your wingtip quickly once you've completed the roll to check your attitude. From ground critiquing you'll learn what looks right. You're checking the attitude after to monitor the quality of the figure, NOT to adjust your attitude after you've completed the roll. Try not to get in the habit of correcting your attitude AFTER the roll if you happen to be a little shallow or steep immediately after the roll. In competition, this is broadcasting your error. It will be seen, and you will be deducted. If you're a little off, better that you don't correct it. It's possible it will not be seen if you just fly what you've got. So if you see that your attitude is off after the roll, don't correct it, but rather practice the half roll to the point where you've got the attitude nailed at the instant you center the ailerons to stop the half roll. And yes, use full aileron deflection. The faster you roll, the less exposure you have to attitude deviation during the half roll if your technique is not quite perfect.

And yes, pitch through the 5/8 loop down just as you would during a full loop. But remember that the judging criteria for this figure do NOT require your entry and exit altitudes to be the same. Generally, you'll exit this figure a little lower than you entered.

Obviously ground critiquing is going to help you the most, but the only other thing I'd recommend doing is to accentuate the transition from your inverted 45 upline into the looping portion. You can literally "pop" the stick slightly aft, return it to around neutral, and you will be on your way to a nice floating radius over the top. If you do it right, it will not look jerky from the ground, you will not overpitch or pinch the top of the loop, and it will give a clear indication to the judges when you have broken your line so that they can better judge line lengths. If you really ease slowly into the looping portion after drawing an equal length line after the roll, it can be hard for the judges to tell when you've broken your line, and you can appear long after. This is something to keep in mind as you're setting and breaking any line, from or into any radius - not just for the cuban.

Good luck in Sportsman this season!

Last edited:
Back