What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rev 3B alternative

MNAv8or

Well Known Member
Hello everyone. I thought I would tap the resources on here to see if an Rv 3 is in the realm for me. Reading about the Rv 3 it would seem that I will not fit. I'm about 6'4" and about 260 lbs. While loosing weight would be on the table I think the height issue may be a problem. Is there any mods that can be done to fit a taller person into the 3? While I would love to stay with vans as I love their products, is there another kit out there that is known for taller pilots but maintains the single seat sliding canopy profile? Thanks!

Your height shouldn't be a problem

Your height isn't an inherent problem in an RV-3B as there is extensive room for stretching out the legs. However, I suspect most folks build like we did to match our leg lengths so you might have to drill some new holes or otherwise re-build the rudder/brake pedal system in the -3B. You might also want/need a Tall Man canopy and less than plumb seat cushions. Our neighbor is taller than you and he was able to fit fine in the -3 before we customized it to us.

The weight, depending on its distribution, might be an issue. With our side compartments, I find the -3 pretty cozy when I'm dressed to for cold. I'm sure you would need a -3B without customized side compartments. The -3 is just something you would just have to try on.

RV 3.5

There is another way to go. I really liked the 3 and loved the prices I was seeing but found fitting to be problematic. It did not look to me like I could even modify it to be comfortable. I am a bit over 6'4" and about 200 lbs. I decided what I really needed was what I call my RV 3.5. What I ended up finding was an abandoned RV 4 project. The front seat is moved back and it has a tall canopy installed.

Since I plan to fly it solo the vast majority of the time it is very comfortable for me. The rear seat is not all that large in a regular 4 and therefore not very comfortable for large people. Mine is smaller but I figure to limit dual occupancy to flights of 30 minutes (emergency parts or burger runs). I could send some pics if you like.

The upside is there are more RV 4's out there and the resale will be better if you ever decide to do that. It can be very tough to sell a single place airplane. Both wings and all the flight controls are painted on mine. I will post a picture when it is done. As much as I enjoy flying the RV 6A I currently own I can hardly wait for the 4 to take to the skies this spring.

I really like the RV 3. This was as close as I could get to flying one.

There is another way to go. I really liked the 3 and loved the prices I was seeing but found fitting to be problematic. It did not look to me like I could even modify it to be comfortable. I am a bit over 6'4" and about 200 lbs. I decided what I really needed was what I call my RV 3.5. What I ended up finding was an abandoned RV 4 project. The front seat is moved back and it has a tall canopy installed.

If you could send me some pictures that would be great! If I could make a 4 work then that would probably be better for me.

No worries

Hello everyone. I thought I would tap the resources on here to see if an Rv 3 is in the realm for me. Reading about the Rv 3 it would seem that I will not fit. I'm about 6'4" and about 260 lbs. While loosing weight would be on the table I think the height issue may be a problem. Is there any mods that can be done to fit a taller person into the 3? While I would love to stay with vans as I love their products, is there another kit out there that is known for taller pilots but maintains the single seat sliding canopy profile? Thanks!

You would fit in mine, I'm 6' 255lbs and while snug it is very comfortable. The height is not a big problem either, I Had a 6'4 guy fly it and his comment to me after was the same as everyone who has flown it " wow, best airplane i have flown"

Think RV4 SOLO ?

As mentioned above, an RV4 set up for solo solves the size issues and optimizes CG options. An AI named Kelley ??? in Indianapolis had one nearly finished for sale ( at a great price) a while back. Rocket Bob and Jim Winings know him.

Pics on the way

I sent pictures to the email address you provided via PM yesterday. Let me know if there are others you would like or if I can help with questions.

Back