What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Retrofitting Superior Cold Air Sump under Vans cowl

rwtalbot

Well Known Member
I'm looking at retrofitting a Superior Cold Air Sump to my 7A. I'm aware I need to change exhaust, fuel lines, cables (throttle / mixture), brackets, induction and remodel the lower cowl. Actually when you put it like that I'm starting to think it might be a fair bit of work...

Anyway, I am trying to plan my induction. At present I am considering fitting the Sam James MK3 ram air unit but I am not sure if it will fit. I am wondering if someone has done it successfully.

Alternately, is there someone out there who would be happy to measure the horizontal distance from the mounting pad on the superior sump to the rear edge of the flywheel for me please? I?m thinking just to drop a plumb bob or similar and measure from the pad to the string line.

According the Will James, the MK3 can be fitted in 9-10" and the Precision servo is 5.5" deep, so I am hoping for about 15-16", in which case I will have a couple more for sealing to the cowl etc.

Richard

RV7A ? Flying
Sydney, Australia

Back