What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Retread Tires?

Geico266

Well Known Member
Does anyone use retread tires? I bought two from Dresser but the quality looked questionable. Any PIREPS? Do they last longer than new ones?

Does anyone use retread tires? I bought two from Dresser but the quality looked questionable. Any PIREPS? Do they last longer than new ones?

Lots of retreads on RVs. I've used them for several years with good results. The Dresser Monster retreads probably have more tread than any other tire, but I buy the "regular" retreads. Mine came with yellow tags.

I saw that they added weights to the inside of the tire, and the molds of the retreads were not square. It looked like they would wobble pretty bad or be out of balance. They just did not look good to me. They might have worked fine, but I returned them and bought new ones.

Last edited:
I bought a bunch of FC II's a few years back and they have weights too. I thinks regardless of new or retread the tires are balanced.

Size

Larry,

I put a set on the 6A I bought from you a few years ago. They were a good bit wider than the originals and rubbed the wheelpants. Unfortunately, I didn't discover this until smelling the smoke after a few runs around the pattern.

Kev

We've been using Desser retreads. Our airplane probably does more touch-n-goes than most. Tanya wears them down, about every 1.5yr, and I'm happy to replace them with another set of retreads. Actually, she replaces them, and just needs my girth to break the bead :). I haven't seen one that concerned me. I would probably be asking questions too.

Last edited:
Desser retreads have been the only tires I've used on my various airplanes for close to 30 years Larry - never had a problem with one, great fast service - and good prices.

Paul

Well then, next time I need tires I will give them a try. They just looked different I guess, I am sure they were fine. I seem to be getting 2 years out on my tires so it sounds like I am worrying about nothing...... again. ;)

Thanks for the info guys and gals. I appreciate it.

We've been using Dresser retreads. Our airplane probably does more touch-n-goes than most. Tanya wears them down, about every 1.5yr, and I'm happy to replace them with another set of retreads. Actually, she replaces them, and just needs my girth to break the bead :). I haven't seen one that concerned me. I would probably be asking questions too.

A woman that changes her own airplane tires? My wife would just call AAA. ;)

A woman that changes her own airplane tires? My wife would just call AAA. ;)

10 years of training, encouragement, excitement, and willingness to learn. I lucked out. In our first year, she was amazed to learn that one could "drill metal" in the garage. We've come a very long way, and although it is becoming very hard to impress, she knows she is prepared to take responsibility for "her" airplane. Especially as "mine" seems to be on the fast track recently... What were we talking about :)

Back