What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Resurrecting my tools

rickmellor

Well Known Member
When I sold my project last year I was in a state where I didn't want to think about airplanes anymore. Consequently I just left my tools laying about where they were and haven't touched them in the last year +. I'm now starting to devise a scheme where I can start working on a new project and have begun cleaning up the shop in preparation. While cleaning I noticed that several of my tools have a thin layer of oxidation on them that I'll need to deal with before I can use them again. I'm thinking that I can just buff them out with a scrotchbrite pad and then give them a nice oil rub to bring them back into condition. Is this the best way or would you guys recommend a different approach?

Some of the tools include rivet sets, bucking bars and sheet metal snips.

Thanks.

-Rick

I would simply give them a light coat of oil and start using them again, the handling should burnish them out. If it's more than a really thin layer, scotchbrite would work ok, but you don't want to scratch up the polished parts that are suppose to touch the rivets.

After cleaning off the oxidation and buffing, wipe down the items with mineral spirits. Then, use a good quality furniture paste wax...moderate coat, let dry, buff off residue and repeat one more time. This will result in a nice protective coat that can withstand the "shop" environment for a year or so.

Caution on the furniture wax - I would not put anything on my tools that might contain waxes or silicone products, the residue they will leave on the skins will cause heartburn when it's time to paint.

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'll start gentle and progressively get more aggressive until something works. I'm not sure about using the sets with the oxidation on them ... I'm sure it would knock it off but it may indent the surface a bit (more than they already are damaged). Perhaps I'll use the polishing bit on the Dremel to try and clean up one of the flush sets and if that doesn't work try something more.

At least I learned my lesson about properly maintaining these things. :(

-Rick

Back