What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

resources for early RV-3 project

flyingj

Hi,

I recently purchased a partially completed RV3 project, plan serial number 151. The plan set that I received with the project is pretty ragged, faded and spotted "blueline" print. The original builder lived in SW Washington state, near Vancouver WA. I have his name somewhere, but I have found out he is deceased.

I have asked Vans if they have or can make copies of the old plans, but it seems they don't have them anymore.

If anyone has a good set of plans for an RV3 in this era, I'd like to talk to you about getting a copy of the plans. My project is registered with Vans (#10151), and I'd be willing to secure permission from Vans for the copy. I'd also be willing to buy the original plan set but I doubt anyone would be interested in parting with them.

I am also interested in any "commercial" resources on the subject of RV3/RV3A projects, such as video series, if such things exist for this model.

I should add that I do have a 1/2 size planset for the RV3-B, but there are quite a lot of important differences.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Jim Frisby
Palmer, AK

Last edited:
Welcome aboard the good ship VAF Jim - and particularly welcome to the small (but growing) community of RV-3 nuts. We must be nuts to keep building a kit that is the "primitive" progenitor of the line. At least when you get done, you'll know that you located and drilled every hole....

And sorry - we have one of those sophisticated -3B kits, so our plans probably won't help. Hopefully KatieB will see your request!

Paul

Early Manuals

I have a set of manuals for my RV-3 SN#10164. Let me know what information you need.
Also, if you're looking to save time and money I reluctantly have my -3 for sale. She's a simple ship with an 0-290, steam panel and wood prop. Wing tanks, slider canopy and aprox 180 total time airframe and SMOH. $23,000OBO.
Let me know if you can help.

available for photos etc

While the offer to fly over to AK didn't fly too well past the wife... (never seen a kitchen pass that long!) I'm always available if you need pictures of something!
Best
Brian Wallis
(sitting in the hospital waiting for my excuse for an RV-10 to come into this world)

Back