What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rescent Condition Inspection

mv031161

Well Known Member
I just finished an Annual condition inspecition on another RV8 for a friend of mine. Again the one that got my attention the most was the two rudder cable bolts. This last RV8 had only 600 hours but the wear on those bolts is something of concern that I would like to pass to others. Make sure you add to your inspection checklist the bolt inspection by phisically removing them (two bolts one of each side of rudder) and check for wear. The lossenes at the cable end againt the rudder arms creates a wear situation. Any wear should be subject to replacement. Also, Check for enlongated holes due to loose bolts (wear) in the rudder Arms.

Rotate those bolts

One thing I do to lessen the chance of getting the wear is to rotate the bolt 90 degrees before every flight (this is for the ones outside attached to the rudder horn). I have seen this kind of wear before on other planes and was told to rotate the bolt, so I do it every pre-flight. It is also creates a physical touch so you know you looked at it in the pre-flight. Will be looking at them next month when my annual is due, but last year and 400 hours showed no wear. Good remeinder to pull the ones at the rudder peddal as well and inspect.

I have the same problem on my Air Tractor, Mitch...

...but you can buy bronze inserts, prepregged with oilite (I think) and put them in the rudder bar holes. If there's any wear down the road, it's a simple matter to press a new one in, using a longer bolt and a ratchet.

Best,

Elongated holes

I just finished an Annual condition inspecition on another RV8 for a friend of mine. ---Also, Check for enlongated holes due to loose bolts (wear) in the rudder Arms.

To prevent these elongated holes in the rudder arm, I placed a mild steel strap underneath the rudder arms on my RV-8.

Get a 1/8th" thick by 5/8th" wide mild steel strap from the hardware store. Cut it just over one inch longer than the rudder arms (half in. shorter if you have an A model). Drill a hole in the forward end for the rudder cable forks and a hole in the aft end for tail wheel springs if you have them. Then match drill the straps to the holes in the rudder arms so that you can bolt the straps to the rudder arms. Your bearing surfaces then are cheap easily replaceable steel straps rather than the hard to replace rudder arms.

Keep 'em lubed and they should last as long as a Cessna.

Back