What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Required Flight Testing Hours

Larry

How do you determine the length of the flight test period? I understand it could be either 40 or 25 hours dependent on the type of prop and engine you have. I have a sensenich metal prop (Vans Recommended) and a Pen Yam 0-320 with a carb and electronic igniton on top and mag on the bottom. What can I expect?

Slow speed taxi complete with no problems. Working paper work :(

N272NJ

If you have either an experimental prop or an experimental engine (such as a Lyc clone--ECI-Superior-etc) you will be required to fly a 40 hr test period. If both your engine and prop are certified then it will be 25 hrs.

Cheers,

db

Larry said:
What can I expect?
N272NJ

Assuming you have a certified engine prop combination, You can expect 40 since you have installed the electronic ign.. You can also expect not to get 40. Not all DARS apply the rules the same. Ive seen the gammet of 40 and 25 and it all depends on the DAR and their real knowledge of the rules and whether or not they choose to apply them to you.

Best,

I'm pretty sure the Sensenich prop is not certified (even though many are, since this prop is not used on a certified airplane I do not believe it is). Either way as the others stated either non-certified engine and/or prop gets you 40 over 25. My FSDO guy seemed to care less about my non-certified Lycoming, just the non-certified Catto prop to get me a 40 hour flyoff.

Last edited:
If the electronic ignition is aftermarket, then the engine is uncertified. If the EI is a Lasar and is certified on that particular engine, then you would be eligible for the 25 hr fly-off. Any modification of the engine will take it out of certification.
In all honesty, it takes more than 25 hours to do a complete flight test on a new airplane.

I've heard unconfirmed reports that this can be a grey area, and up to the DAR that issues. I've heard that some DAR's have given 25 hours on some that shouldn't, and vice versa.

Yes, there is the "standard" answer of engine and prop combo, but it seems that there may be some considerable variances between inspectors...

Mel, is this correct?

40 hours is not enough

pbesing said:
I've heard unconfirmed reports that this can be a grey area, and up to the DAR that issues. I've heard that some DAR's have given 25 hours on some that shouldn't, and vice versa.

Yes, there is the "standard" answer of engine and prop combo, but it seems that there may be some considerable variances between inspectors...

Mel, is this correct?
Regardless you will need 40 or even a 100 hours to sort it all out. Do you really want to take passengers in a plane you built as PIC that is not perfect. :D 15 hours does not make a big difference and I found to do a good flight test program and really get everything sorted out 40 hours is a min regardless of the engine. Some say perfect from flight one. I say they are way better than me. I found after the first 100-200 hours I really got it all sorted out.

Definately good point here. I had 40 hours, but didn't really mind...twist my arm and make me fly more and make sure that my airplane is safe before I put my family in it. I don't think I even took anyone in it until 50 or 60 hours, because I was still chasing down little bugs.

Mel said:
If the electronic ignition is aftermarket, then the engine is uncertified. If the EI is a Lasar and is certified on that particular engine, then you would be eligible for the 25 hr fly-off. Any modification of the engine will take it out of certification.
In all honesty, it takes more than 25 hours to do a complete flight test on a new airplane.

Mel, I had an FAA guy do my airworthiness and he was quite clear about the Sensenich TC. It says O-320 series engine that is no more than 160 hp @2600 rpm. Nothing about being certified. He felt that if it was a Lycoming based 320 and was placard correctly then it meets the TC.

And yes 25 hours is probably too short a time to do a good phase 1. It wouldn't have taken any arm twisting for me to accept a 40 hour phase 1. I was more worried about getting my 50 mile radius.

Yes, the Sensenich 150/160 hp prop IS certified. The Sensenich 180 hp prop is NOT! There should be no gray area on the 25 vs. 40 hrs. An engine either meets the manufacturer's type certificate or it doesn't. Yes, there are probably some DARs that may overlook things. That doesn't make it right.
The DAR does have some descretion on the test area, as long as it is over uncongested area.

Back