What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Request for RV-12 V speeds, and W&B info?

DaveLS

Well Known Member
Could someone with a RV12 pilot operating manual provided by Vans (I am assuming Van either provides a POH or the guidance for its creation) post the following information that I assume is in it?

First the V speeds: Rotation, lift off, Vx, Vy, Vno, Va, Vne, Vl/d max (minimum drag speed), unaccelerated stall at max gross weight (flaps down, flaps 1/2, and flaps up).

Second: weight and balance information (I would like to see how different loadings would work out)

Third: Cross wind limits

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Dave

Further to that, is there something secret about the POH, or could it be posted in its entirety for all to see? I'd like to know climb rates, etc. at various altitudes as this will be my "retirement" plane and I need to know what elevations will be suitable for my retirement location.

Here are the V-speeds that I copied, printed and laminated for the plane.

SPEEDS FOR THIS AIRCRAFT:

Va 104 mph (Maneuvering)
Vfe 94 mph (Max Flaps Extended)
Vne 156 mph (Never Exceed)
Vno 124 mph (Max Structural Cruise)
Vref 63-69 mph (Final Approach Ref)
Vso 47 mph (Stall-Flaps Down)
Vs 52 mph (Stall - Clean)
Vx 69 mph (Best Angle-Flaps 1st Detent
Vy 86 mph (Best Rate-Flaps Up)
Vglide 98 mph (Best Glide)

Normal Operating Range - 52-124 mph
Max Direct Crosswind ? 12.65 mph

Further to that, is there something secret about the POH, or could it be posted in its entirety for all to see? I'd like to know climb rates, etc. at various altitudes as this will be my "retirement" plane and I need to know what elevations will be suitable for my retirement location.

No secrets. The numbers Van's publishes are pretty close. Saturday I was at gross and was off the ground in 700' and climbed out at a solid 900+ FPM. By myself (#210 cabin weight) 3/4 fuel take off is 3-400' climb out at 1200+ FPM. My airport is 1,500 MSL.

I have the prop set for the middle range. Setting it finer would result in better performance on take off.

Last edited:
"Max Direct Crosswind ? 12.65 mph"

That's surprisingly low considering the size of the tail, but probably (it's been far too long for me to remember) similar to a Cessna 152.

Thanks for the numbers and congradualtions to Marty and Larry on their flying RV12s.

If my memory servers me correctly: In additon to other factors max cross wind is a function of touchdown speed. The lower the touchdown speed, the greater the effect of a given wind and the less effective the rudder is. So this begs the question: Is the quoted max cross wind speed for flaps up or flaps down?

And to push futher, on weight and ballance. From talking with Vans' people are just slightly ahead of the CG, while fuel and baggage are aft of CG. So the max forward loading would be with two heavy people using most of the useful load with partial fuel and no baggage. The max aft loading would occur with full fuel and baggage and a light solo pilot. My question then boils down to what is the maximum and minimum people weight that the CG will allow.

Thanks again, Dave

I'm 210 and my passenger Saturday was 260 and we had full fuel, no baggage. That is right at gross weight. I didn't even notice a difference in trim although I'm sure there was some. My guess is we were pushing the forward "stated" CG limits pretty hard. The -12 took alittle longer getting off the runway (about 700') but that was it.

Last edited:
Back