What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing throttle cable

walkman

Well Known Member
I am about to replace the throttle cable on my '98 RV-6.

It currently has a Vernier throttle, I an going to replace with a standard push-pull friction locking cable.

It looks like a pretty simple project, are there any gotchas or things I need to be on the look out for?

Thanks

I am about to replace the throttle cable on my '98 RV-6.

It currently has a Vernier throttle, I an going to replace with a standard push-pull friction locking cable.

It looks like a pretty simple project, are there any gotchas or things I need to be on the look out for?

Thanks

I have been working on fitting my controls recently and nothing stands out as being a problem area. A small tip, wrap the cable with tape before you pass it through the firewall to prevent scuffs on the casing. If you are using the 44.5" cable. I have a near-new one (never used, but a few scuffs - how i learned to use the tape), that I would sell for a good chuck less than Vans is asking. I need a longer cable and because of the scuffs, I can't return this one as new. Vans lists the 44.5 as standard for the RV-6 320/360.

Easy Job

I replaced my friction-lock style at the last annual, as the friction lock had lost most of its grip. Used the same p/n for replacement, very easy to do. Also a good opportunity to verify cable travel for throttle and mixture, and adjust as necessary.

It is nice to know the throttle will stay where I set it... :)

Back