What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing skins - tail

Inverted

Well Known Member
How difficult would it be to change out the skins on the rudder and elevator with 0.20 on a tail that is already complete?

I would just order a new elevator and rudder kits from Van's and build those up. That way you can continue to fly while you are working on the new control surfaces.

Just my $.02

Bill,

I only wish I was already flying. I am just getting started :)

So you are just saying put the -7 tail on there? I personally like the look of the smaller tail.

No, I was saying start over and order the thicker -4 skins (foreskins?) and go from there.

Since you are not flying yet, then down time is not an issue. Just drill off your current skins and use those for patterns to make new ones out of thicker aluminum.

The other option is to leave them alone until a problem shows up.

The other option is to leave them alone until a problem shows up.
I'm with Bill here. The .020" skins are overrated. If done properly, the .016" skins are fine. My -6 has been flying for 16 years with no cracks.
The secrete is to make sure that the trailing edge radius is formed completely. Many people don't squeeze them enough. Before riveting, the skins should lay flat onto the spar.

Mel,

Vans told me if you are going to put anything with more than 180hp to upgrade the skins to 0.20.

Super 6

Yeah, but in the next sentence they told you not to put more than 180 HP on the nose ;)

Consult with some of the Super 6 builders if you are going to put more than 180hp on the 6. There might be other changes that would be prudent on an airframe designed for a max. 180hp.

I have 180hp, .016 skins, 200 hours, no cracks (yet?). I paid very close attention to trailing edge bends when I built it.

Mel,

Vans told me if you are going to put anything with more than 180hp to upgrade the skins to 0.20.

If I put on anything larger than a 180 on my 6A, I'd probably be running into the red line often. I'm into the yellow a lot, as it is... :D

L.Adamson --- RV6A -- 0.16 skins

Back