What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing EGT probes

russe

I've got two EGT probes that are acting up on my -10.

I'm going to buy replacements and hopefully tackle the job of swapping out the flaky ones myself. I'm not the original builder, so was looking to tap the accumulated wisdom of the Vans air force about anything special to keep in mind during the job.

Thanks in advance for ideas,
Russ

Assuming there are spade connectors somewhere between the probe and the EMS box, it should be an easy job. Just loosen the worm clamp that hold the probe around the exhaust pipe. Pull the probe out, disconnect the connector and replace. Don't over tighten the hose clamp, or it may crack.

IMG_6458-M.jpg

My first set of Dynon EGT probes had a few flakey ones that started going in and out with the temp readings. The newer ones have been solid over the last year.

More than a few EGT issues I ran into were caused by poor connections on the EGT leads. I'd try cleaning & tightening them before buying replacements.

Small probability. We have encountered lead or other conductive material deposits between the thermocouple bead and the sheath. Use an ohm meter to check for electrical isolation between the thermcouple and the air frame. If you find conductive material on across the insulation between the TC ans sheath try scraping it off, this usually works.

Back