What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing bottom skins on completed RV-14A

Ron B.

Well Known Member
After a runway excursion and nose wheel collapse we are in need to replace all three fuselage bottom skins. After removing all interior floors and inspection covers ( not accomplished yet) the biggest issue gaining access is the tunnel. I’m hoping I can remove the two aluminum panels covering the S.S. tunnel.
Any thoughts on accomplishing this task would be appreciated. We have reached out to Van’s for an official response and have only received a comment that it should be doable and they will get back to us with details.
More opinions the better for deciding how to go about this.
Thanks Ron

After a runway excursion and nose wheel collapse we are in need to replace all three fuselage bottom skins. After removing all interior floors and inspection covers ( not accomplished yet) the biggest issue gaining access is the tunnel. I’m hoping I can remove the two aluminum panels covering the S.S. tunnel.
Any thoughts on accomplishing this task would be appreciated. We have reached out to Van’s for an official response and have only received a comment that it should be doable and they will get back to us with details.
More opinions the better for deciding how to go about this.
Thanks Ron
Sorry to hear about this excursion and hope everyone is OK.
I am not speaking from experience of replacing these parts, but building them. As I understand it, the tunnel in a A model plays an even bigger role in the structure of the plane and I suspect it would be easier to build the tunnel along with the three skins that need to be replaced.

Sorry to hear about this excursion and hope everyone is OK.
I am not speaking from experience of replacing these parts, but building them. As I understand it, the tunnel in a A model plays an even bigger role in the structure of the plane and I suspect it would be easier to build the tunnel along with the three skins that need to be replaced.
No injuries whatsoever, thanks

Back