What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacement Throttle Cable

Andy Hill

Well Known Member
Our RV-8 has an XP-IO-360 and uses the standard Van's Thottle Cable CT Q-60, reassuringly labelled 'Not for Aircraft use' :eek:

The cable runs fairly near the exhaust - and best efforts have been made to protect it with a "Heat Shield" and some Firesleeve. However, there are still some areas where the platic covering has partially melted (and I haven't looked under the firesleeve :( ), and the throttle is getting a little stiff to use, particularly when cold.

Even Van's, when they saw a picture of an unrelated item, remarked the cable needed protection, and even then "in their experience might only be good for 200hours" :confused: [We're ~130 hours now].

Any suggestions/advice for a better / long term replacement? Spruce's A-920 Push Pull Control and states 'It has Teflon casing liner for use in high-temperature areas such as engine compartments'. It has the same 10/32 threaded ends. It states it has a '8 degree swivel & 3-3/8" stroke' - whereas the Van's cable is ~15 degree swivel and stroke ???

Advice / thoughts / problems would be much appreciated... Thanks in advance

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ

I recalling this from memory Andy, so I could be wrong, but when I researched the cables after my first pair needed replacement, I discovered that the ones from Van's had virtually the same construction as the A-920's from ACS. I dissected the bad cables, and if the liner isn't Teflon, I don't know what it is - sure appears to be (and behaves like) Teflon. What i found is that the liner seemed to swell and increase friction on the core.

I had found the actual cable manufacturer's website, but can't find the link now - it would be worth someone chasing both the Van's and ACS cables to the supplier again, to see if there are actually any spec differences.

Paul

Andy, my Supercub has the same problem. last time it was in for service, the M3 maint organisation said 'easy', and wrapped the bit of the control cable near the exhaust in fire sleeve. While it is not the most elegant solution it is very practical and serviceable.

Any suggestions/advice for a better / long term replacement? Spruce's A-920 Push Pull Control and states 'It has Teflon casing liner for use in high-temperature areas such as engine compartments'. It has the same 10/32 threaded ends. It states it has a '8 degree swivel & 3-3/8" stroke' - whereas the Van's cable is ~15 degree swivel and stroke ??? Advice / thoughts / problems would be much appreciated... Thanks in advance Andy & Ellie Hill RV-8 [URL="http://www.g-hilz.co.uk" said:
G-HILZ[/URL]

Andy,

There is a long thread on this subject that you should read:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=36604&highlight=quadrant+cable

Last edited:
Back