What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repitch Prop

psalter

I have a Sensenich prop set up for climb and now, I want to go faster. What do I tell the prop shop? What will it cost to repitch it?

Thanks

Phil

Phil: I had a quote about a year ago from a shop in N.CA, to change my Sensenich 72x83 to 72x85 was $450, about the same as an overhaul. They quoted strip, NDI, repitch, and repaint. Dan

I have a Sensenich prop set up for climb and now, I want to go faster. What do I tell the prop shop?

Tell them what you have now---prop, engine details, airframe. Also tell them what you wish to achieve with the re-pitch.

If your engine is an O-360 and your prop is a 72FM pitched from the factory at 83" Sensenich will repitch (only) for just shipping. I had them do it a few years ago.

I have a Sensenich prop set up for climb and now, I want to go faster. What do I tell the prop shop? What will it cost to repitch it?

Thanks

Phil

I highly recommend you return your prop to Sensenich for repitch. They have a hydraulic machine that tweaks the blades to a high accuracy. If you use a prop shop they may resort to methods that you won't want to witness:

pants-14.jpg

Repitching also requires templates for measuring the highly pitched blades on our props that the run-of-the-mill shop may not have on hand.

In spite of the indignity inflicted on my prop in the photo above by a shop that wasn't set up to handle RV props, the repitch has served me well for a dozen years....even though it turns out they had no way to accurately measure the pitch...got lucky I guess.

Last edited:
Back