What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repairs out of town

stevemfreeman

I'm New Here
I currently own a Grumman Tiger with 3 partners. We are considering buying a low time RV10. We are in the process of trying to determine the positive and negatives. We already know the many positives but are trying to concentrate on any potential negatives before we commit. One negative that has been proposed to us is that many repair shops do not work on experimental aircraft and that although that will not be a problem at our home base, if something goes wrong far from home we might have a hard time finding a mechanic to work on it. They say it is a problem of perceived liability as well as lack of experience with the model by most mechanics. They also said that since the RV10 is relatively new and there are not that many out there that the problem would be worse for that particular model. I would greatly appreciate any comments from those of you that are not the original builder and have had experience in this area.

I would imagine your engine components will be very similar if not the same as certified engine components. Brakes could be a problem but again very easy to fix. Same as certified. Avionics? I would think some of the Tiger specific stuff is harder to have work done on than the RV-10. You can also carry spare parts and some tools and fix most of the little stuff yourself.

Last edited:
An RV-10 is utterly conventional in its design and construction. Everything likely to need maintenance away from home should be familiar to any A&P mechanic.

In some ways the RV-10 is more typical of mainstream GA construction than the little Grumman, with its bonded wings and composite gear legs.

Welcome to VAF

Steve, welcome to the force;)

As has been said before, const material and technique for the 10 are extremely similar to many of todays type certified aircraft. And for the most part they are being built with engines that most any A/P will be familiar with.

Keep watching this space, sure more folks will chime in.

Once again, good to have you here.

Two points: Although there are some A&P's that won't work on experimentals, that seems to be more of the exception than the rule. We have several guys on these forums that are A&P's and work on RVs all the time. A friend of ours had his RV on the west cost and lost a jug. He had it replaced with no problem. Anecdotal, perhaps.

This is why I kept my RV as conventional as possible.

Another thing to consider is the army of RV folks that will get your help if you are stranded somewhere. Just watch these forums. You'll see a post about someone being at some remote airport with a flat tire, etc. and a simple call to someone that can post on VAF for you will result in someone on their way to your airport with a tire and tools. It's amazing and to me is indicative of the caliber of people that build and fly these airplanes.

And one of the very neat things about the RV's....even if you didn't build your plane, you are legally allowed to work on it. You don't need an A&P, or a shop - you just need tools!

Of course, this assumes that you know what you are doing, but as has been mentioned above, anything that is likely to go wrong on a cross-country will generally be with a standard aircraft component that everyone knows how to work with (tires, brakes, engine accessories).

Paul

I agree on the help

Just find a computer terminal in the FBO..type a HEEELP message on VAF with your cell phone and go relax..Help will almost certainly show up.

Frank

RV10 in Houston

I greatly appreciate all of the good input. I am just trying to get as much info as possible from people with experience before we make a costly decision. Looks like you guys are just as helpful as the Grumman Gang is when it comes to keeping the fleet flying.

One comment stated that even though I would not be the builder I would be able to work on the plane. It was my understanding from my current mechanic that since I would not be the builder that I would have to get an AP/IA to sign off on anything I do just as I currently do on the Tiger. I was told the main advantage was that unlike the Tiger where I cannot substitute parts, on the RV I would be able to substitute but that I would still have to get a sign off from a mechanic. Can someone that is familiar with the relevant FAA regs chime in.

Also I would like to talk to an AP/IA in the Houston Texas area that works on RV 10s. Does anyone know anybody in this area? Ultimately I would have to find someone to oversee the annual even if I do it myself.

Finally, are there any RV10 owners based at IWS or any other Houston area airport that might be willing to have my partners and I over to look at their plane and ask questions?

I greatly appreciate all of the good input. I am just trying to get as much info as possible from people with experience before we make a costly decision. Looks like you guys are just as helpful as the Grumman Gang is when it comes to keeping the fleet flying.

One comment stated that even though I would not be the builder I would be able to work on the plane. It was my understanding from my current mechanic that since I would not be the builder that I would have to get an AP/IA to sign off on anything...
Your current mechanic is mistaken. You would need an A&P to sign off the annual condition inspection and that is the only time a certified mechanic needs to be involved, legally. An IA would never be needed. I haven't documented my answer but there is reams of documentation on this site, available by searching.

Your current mechanic is mistaken. You would need an A&P to sign off the annual condition inspection and that is the only time a certified mechanic needs to be involved, legally. An IA would never be needed. I haven't documented my answer but there is reams of documentation on this site, available by searching.

Agreed. Just to expound on Larry's statement....ANYONE can legally work on an experimental.

One comment stated that even though I would not be the builder I would be able to work on the plane. It was my understanding from my current mechanic that since I would not be the builder that I would have to get an AP/IA to sign off on anything I do just as I currently do on the Tiger. I was told the main advantage was that unlike the Tiger where I cannot substitute parts, on the RV I would be able to substitute but that I would still have to get a sign off from a mechanic. Can someone that is familiar with the relevant FAA regs chime in.

Also I would like to talk to an AP/IA in the Houston Texas area that works on RV 10s. Does anyone know anybody in this area? Ultimately I would have to find someone to oversee the annual even if I do it myself.

Finally, are there any RV10 owners based at IWS or any other Houston area airport that might be willing to have my partners and I over to look at their plane and ask questions?

Steve, the only "sign-off" you need is an A&P (IA not required) who will sign the logbook stating the annual condition inspection has been satisfactorily completed and the aircraft is in a condition for safe operation. Anyone can legally do maintenance or modifications on the plane without an A&P signature.

That is the legal aspect of your question. Obviously, any work on the plane needs to be done by someone who is competent enough to maintain the plane in a condition for safe flight.

Last edited:
Steve,

Welcome to the VAF forum.

While you are allowed to work on an E-AB (Experimental - Amerture Built) aircraft, you must have your condition inspection (They are the E-AB version of an Annual and cover the same items, just a different name.) signed by an A&P saying it is airworthy. No IA needed.

That said, if you make any major changes, say install a different prop, not "like-for-like", you will have to let the FSDO know, fill out some paperwork, and fly off some test time (phase 1). A like-for-like engine swap you could do w/o any signature or paperwork. Not recommended for someone who didn't build the plane but legal, as I understand it and was told my by FSDO.

As for getting help away from home, what you have already read is 100% true. All RV's, -10 included, use standard aviation components, so getting parts while on the road shouldn't be an issue.

About the biggest issue you might have is if the plane has any type of electronic ignition installed. Don't expect the remote A&P to know anything about it.

Houston area RV10s

:) Thanks again for all the quick responses. Will report back to my partners.

Any RV-10s in the Houston area that we could come take a look at?

RV-10's in Houston

Steven,

I am building one in my garage (Sugar Land) and I'm about 1/2 with the FWF and finishing kit. If you would like to see it let me know. There is a flying one up at Hooks airport.

Dave Syvertson

Back