What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repairing my pneumatic squeezer CP-214

larrynew

Well Known Member
My pneumatic squeezer worked but had an annoying air leak at the bottom around the swivel where the air line attaches. It took me a while to find a place for replacement parts so I thought I'd share what I found.

DSC00744.JPG

I found the parts and the exploded parts diagram below at http://store-planetools.com/compressionrivetsqueezerparts.aspx

Parts_Sketch.jpg

Using the diagram above, I was able to disassemble the lower end of the squeezer and order the parts needed. The planetools website says the parts take 2-3 weeks but they arrived in 1 week. The only problem in the order was one part # (214-93) arrived with only 1 "O" ring when the order description and diagram show 2.

IMG_1030.JPG

I emailed planetools and Shane replied immediately and sent the 1 tiny "O" ring via USPS Priority Mail and I had it within 2 days. I felt bad they spent probably 10 times the value of the "O" ring on postage but I can definitely recommend them for great customer service.

The compressor works great and now I can add another vendor to my "trusted" list!

Neat link, thanks.

If you pick up an old squeezer and it's "digital"...:) i.e., goes "clunk" with no smooth action, then replace item 57 with the later part.

Mine came with this throttle valve that had a step function machined in it, the newer feather valve replacement has a tapered shape to it.

Just something to check if you find a real old one.

Bob Avery can overhaul it

Another option is to let Bob Avery overhaul the squeezer for you. The last airplane my squeezer built was 15 years ago, so before I started I let Bob overhaul mine. It came back looking brand new. And it didn't have any air leaks

Neat link, thanks.

If you pick up an old squeezer and it's "digital"...:) i.e., goes "clunk" with no smooth action, then replace item 57 with the later part.

Mine came with this throttle valve that had a step function machined in it, the newer feather valve replacement has a tapered shape to it.

Just something to check if you find a real old one.

Old thread I know, but I think I may be suffering from this ... being new to this kind of tool, I wasn't sure what I was seeing or whether it was "right", but now my suspicions are confirmed (also thanks to youtube!).

I have this unit:

http://www.aetools.co.uk/downloads/parts/15.pdf

Serial 00293 ... so pretty old I presume, got it for a steal off ebay.

The ram pops out pretty violently ... I have added a new 3 inch yoke and adjustable set holder, and it actually seems to rivet fine ... it hammers more than it squeezes, but the shop head is perfectly formed.

I was suspecting lubrication (including any greasing of the leather cup inside?), but are you suggesting this may be either normal for older units (i.e. they worked that way back then), or that this is a common symptom of wear and tear that would be improved with a new part 47 valve assembly?

And if I'm going to work on that, I was wondering about that leather cup and its grease ... not finding much on google for maintenance of these things ... if anyone has any tips on this that would be appreciated.

I was going to keep using it this way, but it occurs to me at some point I will want to dimple using it, and I will need the smooth squeezing motion ...

Thanks!

EDIT: Just found this thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=122988 ... doesn't mention part 47 ... could try the manufacturer, could even consider sending it in for overhaul ... it was such a steal on ebay it might be worth it ... ahhh well ...

Old thread I know, but I think I may be suffering from this ... being new to this kind of tool, I wasn't sure what I was seeing or whether it was "right", but now my suspicions are confirmed (also thanks to youtube!).

I have this unit:

http://www.aetools.co.uk/downloads/parts/15.pdf

Serial 00293 ... so pretty old I presume, got it for a steal off ebay.

The ram pops out pretty violently ... I have added a new 3 inch yoke and adjustable set holder, and it actually seems to rivet fine ... it hammers more than it squeezes, but the shop head is perfectly formed.

I was suspecting lubrication (including any greasing of the leather cup inside?), but are you suggesting this may be either normal for older units (i.e. they worked that way back then), or that this is a common symptom of wear and tear that would be improved with a new part 47 valve assembly?

The old unit I had (found in the garage of a long time aircraft production line worker in LA) definitely had a different valve assembly.

My unit was cleaned up and the valve assembly replaced. IIRC it was the only part replaced.

The original unit didn't even have the "push the lever forward first" safety feature, which along with the "hammer effect" you mention, made it a bit hazardous to use. No OSHA around in WWII. :rolleyes:

All of those parts are on the Detail E page of this parts list -

http://www.ustool.com/documents/US114 Series[1].pdf

Back