What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing tape residue from perspex

rgmwa

Well Known Member
Does anyone know a good way to remove clear packing tape residue from the canopy? The sticky stuff tends to remain behind when you peel the tape off. I'm not sure whether perspex is affected by acetone or other solvents.

naptha, camp stove fuel

A safe solvent for use on acrylic, and I believe polycarbonate also, is naptha, or white gas, usually sold as camp stove fuel.

I would not use any other organic solvent. Maybe isopropyl alcohol, but it is not very effective at removing things.

Thanks Steve. Naptha is not sold in Australia, but we have Shellite which I believe is the essentially the same product. We also have White Spirit, which is similar to your White Gas.

From the LP Aero web site....

If you have to remove masking tape residue or other sticky or greasy stuff, the safest solvents are 100% mineral spirits or kerosene. Some alcohols are safe, such as isopropyl alcohol, but not all.

Should be obtainable even upside down in Oz...:)

WD40

I used WD40 to remove the tape residue, then regular plexi cleaner to finish up. Worked like a champ, and I had it in the hanger.

Tape

Try using masking tape itself. The adhesive loves to stick to itself and will come off the canopy and onto the fresh tape with a couple of quick dabs. Try it it works and is 100% harmless.

Try using masking tape itself. The adhesive loves to stick to itself and will come off the canopy and onto the fresh tape with a couple of quick dabs. Try it it works and is 100% harmless.

OK. It didn't seem to work, but I'll try the dabbing method. I've got quite a bit of `dabbing to do'. (See, the Flintstones made it `downunder'. We may not have Naptha, but we don't lack for culture down here, let me tell you ;) )

OK. It didn't seem to work, but I'll try the dabbing method. I've got quite a bit of `dabbing to do'. (See, the Flintstones made it `downunder'. We may not have Naptha, but we don't lack for culture down here, let me tell you ;) )

Try dabbing very rapidly over the same spot until the stuff comes up. It may take several dabs. Change the masking tape frequently. I cleaned the entire canopy this way and never used a chemical.

I used isopropyl alcohol. Since then I've read that alcohol is REALLY bad for the plex, but oddly I've never had any detrimental effects on the 12 canopy or the other three homebuilts I built.

I've had good results using charcoal lighter fluid. It doesn't say on the container what's in it, but I believe the main ingredient is naptha.

Walt Shipley

Back