What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing remote oil filter, cooler oil lines?

bret

Well Known Member
So I have a question about cooler line runs, the engine I bought out of a Mooney had a remote oil filter, it had the oil port to cooler caped, the lower one, and then they have two open lines on top by the vent? one is pointed aft out of the case just L of the oil filter pad and the other one is pointed up at 11:00 is this one a pressure feed to cooler?

Maybe a pic will help describe my question, what is the line with the safety wire under the vent? the bottom is normal cooler in, and also not shown in the pic is the normal out to cooler that was caped off when I received the engine. it had a remote filter adapter that I just removed.

20160422_203030_zpsbnbvo7zc.jpg

The top outlet (facing up) is fed directly from a channel off the oil pump output. This is the same channel feeding the lower, aft facing outlet (below the pump/screen mount). This represents the oil cooler output. The top aft facing outlet is the cooler return. I was unable to get a straight hose fitting on the top fitting, so I put an AN cap on it, like yours, and used the lower outlet. If you ever want to add a valve to block flow to the cooler, you'll need to use the lower output.

Larry

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the info, I have a hose for that one so I guess ill use the top one for out to cooler.

Also, from my research, the oil should enter the bottom of the cooler if oriented vertically

Back