What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing primer from 'glass'

AAflyer

Well Known Member
In my haste to "keep moving forward", I think I now need to move backward. After fitting, bonding and riveting my canopy skirt to my -8 slider, I gave it a quick coat of primer/filler. Unfortunately the SIKA didn't quite squeeze out to fill all gaps where the fiberglass meets the canopy plexi (although, I don't think my Todd's canopy is really plexiglass). Back then?it was "good enough, but now I'd like to get these gaps filled and put a smooth fillet on this edge.
Any suggestions on solvents or mechanical removal procedures in order to ensure a solid bond for the fillet. Obviously, this is purely cosmetic, but I don't want the fillet material to pop out. This is being done in preparation for final painting.
IMG_7013_zpsfvvywpr1.jpg

Probably a lot of ways to skin that cat. I'd wrap a tongue depressor in 220~400 sandpaper and use the edge to sand along the joint. That should leave a roughened strip about 1/16 wide on the plexiglass, with a similar strip on the edge of the fiberglass.

Or...don't do anything now. At some point you'll need to start working toward a nice clean edge where the finish paint laps onto the plexiglass:

It's pretty much done with fineline tape and making tape:

However, seems to me that I've seen some canopies where the builder buried the paint edge under a filet of material, after painting. The visual result is a narrow accent stripe along the plexiglass edge, like the rubber seals around an automotive window. To do it, I'd try running fineline tape where I wish to define both edges of the filet, wipe it in so the edges are only tape-thick, then pull the tape as soon as I think it won't be too gooey.

Thanks for your response, Dan. Traditionally, does every paint job require a clear-coat? If so, I assume that it will need to lap over the edge of the finish coat, correct?
Is there such a thing as a "rattle-can clear coat"?

Thanks for your response, Dan. Traditionally, does every paint job require a clear-coat? If so, I assume that it will need to lap over the edge of the finish coat, correct?
Is there such a thing as a "rattle-can clear coat"?

Depends on the paint system. You have single-stage (no clear coat) or base/clear. In the later, the same tape lines are used for both the base and the clear coats. It is not typical to re-tape to get the clear to finish the edge of the line. This does not create an inherent weakness.

Larry

Back