What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing painted 8-32 machine screws

KenB

I'm having my 9 painted as I go, which it turns out is both good and bad.

On the bad side, I now need to remove the rudder fairing from the rudder so that I can install the light kit. The 8-32 screws used to attach the fairing have paint on them.

I've used the #8 paint cutter from Brown Tools (yeah!) to slice around the circumference of the machine screws. What I'm struggling with is removing the paint that has filled the Phillips Head slots to let me get enough grip with a screwdriver to remove the little buggers.

Hints or advice would be appreciated. I've tried a variety of curse word combinations, but to no avail as of now.

Thanks, Ken

Ken, take a pointy awl, scribe, needle or such that is slightly smaller than the screw apex slots. Start with the point in the center of the screw and rock the handle of the scribe side to side using the slot side as a fulcrum. The paint will break at the center and slide up the 4 slot grooves. You will get a clean apex.
For screws that are very stuck put valve grinding compound in the cleaned apex and carefully keep pressure on the screw driver while turning righty and lefty until movement is noticed. Do the above methods by hand, no drill drivers, for best results on screw removal.
Steven B

Last edited:
Ken, take a pointy awl, scribe, needle or such that is slightly smaller than the screw apex slots. Start with the point in the center of the screw and rock the handle of the scribe side to side using the slot side as a fulcrum. The paint will break at the center and slide up the 4 slot grooves. You will get a clean apex.
For screws that are very stuck put valve grinding compound in the cleaned apex and carefully keep pressure on the screw driver while turning righty and lefty until movement is noticed. Do the above methods by hand, no drill drivers, for best results on screw removal.
Steven B
Dremel works well...

Steven, Ron,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give these a try, I hope, tomorrow.

Cheers, Ken

Back